The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Some ideas, and yes let the bus run over me as it has in the past.....but maybe it is about time to have a few HANDLER requirements to qualify for the National AMATEUR in order to perpetuate the sport, get better judges, and therefore spread the workload to the 20% who are not participating.

a) All handlers at the National Amateur MUST have earned 2 judges points during the qualifying year.
    b) Give 1/2 point for a minor stake and 1 point for an all-age stake earning CHAMPIONSHIP points.
    c) Also, for the argument of those who have limited weekends to qualify their dogs because of real jobs, allow the 2 points to count towards their dog who has a win, but not the 2 points.

This would be a WIN/WIN situation for all of us in the sport. I can think of many reason's to implement this new rule and not many negatives. I'm sure you will now all have your say on the PROS and CONS, but it bears some discussion. Have at it!
    I dont see how you could be awarded Championship Points that were not attained on the field of competition, especially if those points ultimately went toward titling a dog and giving them an FC or AFC.

With all the National Amateur qualifiers from the last two years, I think you would be hard pressed to find more than a dozen that would meet the criteria of having judged two events in the same year as the year they qualified a dog

Theoretically if you took the 110 + qualifiers and had them judge two trials each, you could run into the scenario where you would be getting the same judges year in year out as they continue to have champions...What about the owners with multiple dogs. Would they be required to judge the amount of trials equal to their entries

Lets leave qualifying for a major championship on the field where it belongs and not legislate participation from an individual..There is enough of that already with our country
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Your analogy falls flat! Someone who agrees to judge has a responsibility to be prepared to do same .
    Point taken. Since at some point you quite obviously considered yourself prepared to judge without ever having judged before, perhaps you could share the methods you used to discharge this responsibility to be prepared in the manner you describe.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

i want to make a point from the perspective of trial worker/marshal.

a person who does not WANT to judge should NEVER judge. they are no fun for anyone!
    john mccallie

All this jabberin and no one's offered to judge my Amateur in June!
    Cody's Gunslingin' Cosmonaut MH QAA (Shooter)

That is because you do not have this secret list of Judges that no body ever calls. Got to be on the inside...

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post

I'll tell you what Troy. I can't do your June trial but how about I do your Open in August?

Quote Originally Posted by TroyFeeken View Post
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    That is because you do not have this secret list of Judges that no body ever calls. Got to be on the inside...
    Now THAT was funny...

k g
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

Tammi Bell has a very interesting approach and it certainly adjusts the "Overton window." Change is coming because we have a huge problem in our sport that could eventually run the true contributors out if this great passion.

The most hated quotes heard from a field trial or hunt test chairman are
    "I cannot judge because i need to run my own dogs for the 20th weekend this year"
    Or
    "I cannot run lunches out to the volunteers because I have 5 dogs to run in the open, 5 in the amateur and don't forget I entered your qual to really screw up the operations of your weekend. Can I run now?
    KARMA - The return on your entries will increase the sooner you decide to contribute one of your weekends to be in the judge's chair and judge others who have done the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawthorpe View Post
    Tammi Bell has a very interesting approach and it certainly adjusts the "Overton window." Change is coming because we have a huge problem in our sport that could eventually run the true contributors out if this great passion.

The most hated quotes heard from a field trial or hunt test chairman are
    "I cannot judge because i need to run my own dogs for the 20th weekend this year"
    Or
    "I cannot run lunches out to the volunteers because I have 5 dogs to run in the open, 5 in the amateur and don't forget I entered your qual to really screw up the operations of your weekend. Can I run now?
    Oh yeah.
    You are indeed, a fast learner.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

"If you always do what you've always done. You always get what you've always got." I like history, tradition and have respect for those that came before. Change is tough especially when you can't agree on what needs a changin'. The people in the trenchs might not have a good view of the horizon. Those that are trying to get there don't know the journey yet. Those that came first probably spend time looking backwards.

I don't have any answers. I don't see any insurmountable problems. Times are tough all over. See ya in the field. Harry
    Last edited by HarryWilliams; 04-15-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/