The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    Carol

I took a HT Judging seminar for grins and one of the things I like is that judges had to work their way up the ladder.

Ted
    The HRC program is the same way, makes it really tough to find Finished Judges, because there are not alot of them at least in our region , but the end result is Judges that have experience not only judging at each level but running dogs at each level..

Todd, I do understand that apprenticing is not needed to judge the minors. I just feel that I would need to do that to get comfortable with the mechanics of the job before doing it. Surely it is not a problem to apprentice a few times under good judges if they are amenable? And Ted, I agree, the hunt test requirements do seem to be a logical progression. As usual, there are still plenty of obstructionist that discourage a new pool of judges.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Todd, I do understand that apprenticing is not needed to judge the minors. I just feel that I would need to do that to get comfortable with the mechanics of the job before doing it. Surely it is not a problem to apprentice a few times under good judges if they are amenable? And Ted, I agree, the hunt test requirements do seem to be a logical progression. As usual, there are still plenty of obstructionist that discourage a new pool of judges.
    (a) the judging of two stakes carrying championship points; (b) the judging of one stake carrying championship points and the judging of three
    minor stakes; or (c) judging five minor stakes.

Not only is it not needed it isn't done, by putting you with a judge that has A, B or C your first time this is your apprenticing, one thing you could do is volenteer to be the stakes chair for X amount of trials, opens your eyes to alot of things...

Just within this past week, on behalf of our Club, I have ordered the HT and the FT judges test from Patricia Conaway in the Performance Events department. Her email is: plc@akc.org.

When I took the FT Judges test she emailed me my results within a couple of days.

In the final analysis the idea of too many field trials for the number of qualified, willing & available judges is actually self-regulating. If there are too many trials to find qualified judges, some trials will cancel their events. Others will have limited fields because folks know the judges to be unreliable or inexperienced. While I understand the frustration for clubs & handlers, in the end it takes care of itself - because the only answer to developing & finding more qualified judges is for owners to actually handle their dogs in training & at trials (classes just won't get it done). And unfortunately the trend is against the owner/handler in favor of owners having pros train their dogs virtually exclusively & handle those dogs predominately in open stakes.
    David Didier, GA

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    Why would anyone ask you to judge if you haven't even taken the test? Do clubs have a habit of asking people to judge that haven't gotten approved?
    I believe this is a fairly common practice.

I think that many new judges request the test after being asked to judge a stake by someone who respects and appreciates their potential.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post

I think that many new judges request the test after being asked to judge a stake by someone who respects and appreciates their potential.

Yeah that is the normal route.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post

So basically If there is a problem of to many trials or not enough judges the clubs have caused this problem. They should have less trials or ask more people to judge.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    So basically If there is a problem of to many trials or not enough judges the clubs have caused this problem. They should have less trials or ask more people to judge.
    That's the way I see it. Keep you eye out for promising talent, nurture that talent then put them with some known good mentor type judges.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    That's the way I see it. Keep you eye out for promising talent, nurture that talent then put them with some known good mentor type judges.
    It's hard to crack into that good ol boy club. .
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli