The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Trials, Too Few Judges?

JTowne, take the test, at least you'll know the rules inside and out regardless.
    No Kidding, the way that the questions jump around you will have read the book at least 5 times before you are through, and you will certainly find stuff that you didn't know before at least I did.

Quote Originally Posted by j towne View Post
    You forgot number five. Get rid of chesapeakes and get some black labs
    Chris I am working 24 hours today but I will call tomorrow.
    Tonya has left the AKC. The new contact is:

Patricia Conaway <plc@akc.org>
    919-816-3904
    AKC Performance Events

They now email the test. No more waiting for the mailman at your mailbox. I have the current test fresh from this AM. I will forward it to you. Just PM me your email address.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Tonya has left the AKC. The new contact is:

Patricia Conaway <plc@akc.org>
    919-816-3904
    AKC Performance Events

They now email the test. No more waiting for the mailman at your mailbox. I have the current test fresh from this AM. I will forward it to you. Just PM me your email address.

Chris
    Thank you sir

There are NO negatives with regard to taking the test, whether you ever intend to judge or not.

A more informed populace/gallery might cut down on the amount of discontent and comments from folks who've never read the rules, much less judged. It might also help you understand what you see at a field trial and WHY you are seeing it.

At the VERY least, it will make you sound more educated (hopefully) should you choose to comment...

IMHO, as always...

k g
    I keep my PM box full. Use email to contact me: rockytopkg@aol.com.

One additional thought:

When I interviewed for my first job out of school, a guy told me a simple line that I think over almost daily:

"Friends buy from friends".

My personal experience has shown that this principle carries over most facets of life. Others' mileage may vary.

I believe that most human tendencies are for folks to work with, hang out with, buy from, etc.....friends.

So in some ways, the comment about judging for others in post #323 (can you believe it's that long?!):

is accurate. When people are comfortable with you, have a relationship with you, have trust, or respect, they will choose to spend time, money, trust, etc. with you. Whether it's judging a trial, pledging a fraternity, getting a job interview, running for election, etc.
    I'd take it a step further - people are comfortable with people like themselves. A rookie in this sport is easily
    intimidated by the real players, those who are not are few & far between & that is usually a function of what
    they do in real life. So the rookie invites another rookie to judge because they are comfortable with them. What
    can go wrong with a deal like that?

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I'd take it a step further - people are comfortable with people like themselves. A rookie in this sport is easily
    intimidated by the real players, those who are not are few & far between & that is usually a function of what
    they do in real life. So the rookie invites another rookie to judge because they are comfortable with them. What
    can go wrong with a deal like that?
    What percentage of today's trials utilize rookies to recruit and obtain judges?
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

What percentage of today's trials utilize rookies to recruit and obtain judges?
    Probably a lot more than is healthy for the sport - just on this thread there has been the lament by Lainee
    to get another judge - Troy Feeken is the club where he is - Ted in the past has talked of the clubs along the
    Rocky Mountain front with there one or two or three folks doing all the organizing - that's not healthy depth
    & is being done by people relatively new to the sport - there are more areas where this is the norm

My own experience as the person arranging for judges was: of the 11 officers including 7 directors - all were active
    trialers with numerous FC-AFC's to their credit, a couple of those being national winners. That meant there had been
    lots of views of potential judges & pairings.

I don't sense from the postings on this forum that most have that wealth of experience, including some of their own,
    to draw upon in today's trial environment.

I believe that shows there is a rookie dealing with rookie environment! Anyway that's what I see .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a rookie...I do talk with other FTers that I respect and have more experience to help determine potential list of judges to ask - my issue is in finding local judges and less experienced judges to judge with my experienced judges - who I find first and try to pair with those I know who are up and coming judges. I can find plenty of out of state judges, but I also need to balance my club's finances and attempt not to blow the budget.

And yes it gets tiresome to have to keep calling and begging and pleading to find judges...I do have the foresight if a good judge is booked to ask them "What about next year or the following?"

So please take a look at PPRCs judging panel since 2009 and you tell me how "rookie" my judges selections have been - there is not a single person on the list I would consider a poor selection. And I've always attempted to pair the less experienced with the experienced...

Or would you rather me, leave the choosing of judges to the club board how compromises mostly HTers? They have zero insight to FTs? I may be a rookie in your eyes, but I do my due diligence when trying to find judges. So go throw stones is some one else's glass house.

And yes, I'll whine about the difficulty of finding judges - when you have to beg a newbie judge to be a co-judge with the likes of Mitch Patterson, it makes me very frustrated...."I'd rather run my dog" is a poor excuse for pissing away a golden opportunity, just glad Bob had the desire to learn and knew the importance of judging with the likes of Mitch.

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Easy there Lainee, I didn't see where there was any direct name pointing. For what its worth, I find it more frustrating when people can't return a call than someone telling me they don't want to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily call myself a rookie...I do talk with other FTers that I respect and have more experience to help determine potential list of judges to ask - my issue is in finding local judges and less experienced judges to judge with my experienced judges - who I find first and try to pair with those I know who are up and coming judges. I can find plenty of out of state judges, but I also need to balance my club's finances and attempt not to blow the budget.

And yes it gets tiresome to have to keep calling and begging and pleading to find judges...I do have the foresight if a good judge is booked to ask them "What about next year or the following?"

So please take a look at PPRCs judging panel since 2009 and you tell me how "rookie" my judges selections have been - there is not a single person on the list I would consider a poor selection. And I've always attempted to pair the less experienced with the experienced...

Or would you rather me, leave the choosing of judges to the club board how compromises mostly HTers? They have zero insight to FTs? I may be a rookie in your eyes, but I do my due diligence when trying to find judges. So go throw stones is some one else's glass house.

And yes, I'll whine about the difficulty of finding judges - when you have to beg a newbie judge to be a co-judge with the likes of Mitch Patterson, it makes me very frustrated...."I'd rather run my dog" is a poor excuse for pissing away a golden opportunity, just glad Bob had the desire to learn and knew the importance of judging with the likes of Mitch.

FOM
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post

FOM
    I would jump at the chance.
    I got to train with Mitch and his wife last fall and had a blast and learned a lot. They are the nicest people He even let me set up a series