The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Green Energy

Default Green Energy

http://www.offgridquest.com/energy/5...tical-turbines
    Now this is really cool ... innovation in wind power that is less intrusive to the environment.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Yes.. very nice idea. Wind is free and very green. But the birds.. what about the birds...
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Part of the concept of these "eggbeaters" is that they will do far less damage to birds. They can generate more power from 30-ft high towers than the horizontal windmills do at 100 ft high; and with less wind speed. Noise and vibration of the horizontal mills is also an issue for nearby residents.

While I believe that we should take advantage of fossil fuels to bridge the gap to more effective green energy, it would not make sense to be anti-green if it is commercially viable to keep our economic engine working.

When we see innovation like this in wind power, one can hope that similar innovation can take place for solar. Some of the solar ideas are also dangerous to wildlife (the use of the mirrors to concentrate the sunlight, for example). I also have concern for the fact that recycling solar panels will become its own problem. They are said to last about 25 years, and then need to be replaced. What will be the cost of recycling the old material? How much energy will be required to do that? What toxic materials result from the recycling? Nobody talks about that. If solar becomes ever more prevalent, we will definitely need to consider those factors.

I think that human ingenuity will be able to develop more durable materials for panels, so that they last longer and do not present contamination when recycled.

I think it is very reasonable to transition to renewable energy, but in order to do that we need the wealth from a growing economy to do that. At this point, we don't have the technology that can make renewable energy carry the burden of keeping the economic engine running. No America has been blessed with the means to bridge the transition, and to have the intelligence resources to solve these problems.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I agree with what you are saying Gerry. I think we have a couple of those egg beaters near Brighton, Michigan. I would argue that they would have never been developed though if it had not been for the push for renewable energy. Solar power is also being developed to decrease it's cost and to improve its effectiveness. I read an article a awhile back where they are trying to "print" solar panels rather than constructing them. It will shave off a lot of the price if they can get it worked out. Once again never would have happened without starting the technology and growing it organically. Fossil fuels are around for our lifetimes, but they may not even be reasonably available in our children's lifetime. A hundred years from now we don't want our people to have only 1st generation renewables.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Henlee, we agree on a lot of things, and our views on the intelligent use of fossil fuels while developing alternatives seem to be similar as well.

While the govt subsidies like the tax credit for individuals encouraged more use of solar, a lot of the technology the govt subsidized already existed; and they were premature in investing in some technology that was not yet ready for commercial use. Had the $ put into the crony capitalism schemes that failed been put into research, we might be farther ahead now.

The subsidies made it possible for wealthier people to take advantage of the tax breaks, while the fella who makes $60,000 was less likely to benefit ... while he watched his electric bill increase a LOT. So, those tax breaks (aside from the Solyndra-type beneficiaries) still favored the richer taxpayers, who could then save $ on electric and taxes both. Those same people could have afforded to install the systems without a tax subsidy. Utility companies were quite eager to get those large users to curtail their demand from the grid, and offered some bennies as well.

So, I'm not as convinced as you are that a free market would not have seen an opportunity and moved into development of technology as you are. That doesn't mean we're miles apart on our views, though. To be reasonable, the govt "push" may have added some acceleration to the process, just not sure how much, and at what point the govt should withdraw and let the market carry forward the momentum. At some point we take the training wheels off the bike, and know how to ride. Problem is our govt never seems to know when to take off the training wheels, since the fellas who make $ off the training wheels hate to let go of their control.

I'd rather see NASA working on stuff like this than making videos on global warming or attending to some of the other "duties" this administration has put into that venue.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com