The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65

Thread: over 1K a day wonder drug

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,018
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,723

    Default



    Whatever the traffic will bear. Ain't the 'free market' a grand thing?

    Extracted from the link you provided: Several Democratic Congressmen recently sent a letter demanding that Sovaldi's maker, Gilead, explain the price tag—especially given that it costs 99% less in hepatitis-ridden Egypt; Congress has no power to alter the price, however. Gilead says its prices ($84,000 for a full course of treatment in the US) key off a country's per-capita income, and argues that it's still a good deal long-term, because it cures patients in 12 weeks. UPI points out that some hepatitis C sufferers ultimately require a liver transplant, which costs upward of $175,000.

    How come it wasn't a bi-partisan group questioning why the cost was so high? Things that make me go HMMMMMM.......-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  3. #3
    Senior Member IowaBayDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paul young View Post
    Whatever the traffic will bear. Ain't the 'free market' a grand thing?

    Extracted from the link you provided: Several Democratic Congressmen recently sent a letter demanding that Sovaldi's maker, Gilead, explain the price tag—especially given that it costs 99% less in hepatitis-ridden Egypt; Congress has no power to alter the price, however. Gilead says its prices ($84,000 for a full course of treatment in the US) key off a country's per-capita income, and argues that it's still a good deal long-term, because it cures patients in 12 weeks. UPI points out that some hepatitis C sufferers ultimately require a liver transplant, which costs upward of $175,000.

    How come it wasn't a bi-partisan group questioning why the cost was so high? Things that make me go HMMMMMM.......-Paul
    All they are doing is Charging (taxing) the rich and (discounting)giving to the poor, should be right in the Democrats wheel house, seems hypocritical for them to even question it.
    ________________________________
    Dan Cram
    No longer live in Iowa but I have a new Bay Dog!!

    Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Maybe they are feeling a biblical connection. Mt. Gilead and fill it is their way of tithing.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lebanon, OH
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    All they are doing is Charging (taxing) the rich and (discounting)giving to the poor, should be right in the Democrats wheel house, seems hypocritical for them to even question it.
    Yes and now everyone has insurance. Just meet the deductible, as will always be the case, and you can take the meds like they are in PEZ dispenser.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Gerry Clinchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    6,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    All they are doing is Charging (taxing) the rich and (discounting)giving to the poor, should be right in the Democrats wheel house, seems hypocritical for them to even question it.
    Exactly. Income distribution is exactly what the Ds advocate, so why the objection to the pharma company cooperating with them? Do the Ds want Egyptians to die? Shame on them. What about other poor countries who aren't as wealthy as the US, aren't they entitled to affordable health care?

    As it usually turns out, those in favor of redistribution of wealth are fine with it as long as it is someone else's wealth that is being redistributed.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

    ​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............

    As it usually turns out, those in favor of redistribution of wealth are fine with it as long as it is someone else's wealth that is being redistributed.
    You should use that as your signature line. .................................................. ..................
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver CANADA
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Do the Ds want Egyptians to die? Shame on them. What about other poor countries who aren't as wealthy as the US, aren't they entitled to affordable health care?

    As it usually turns out, those in favor of redistribution of wealth are fine with it as long as it is someone else's wealth that is being redistributed.
    Hold on Gerry are you suggesting it is OK for the US to practice International Socialism while condemning it domestically? Why should the sick in the US pay an exorbitant price for medicines to subsidize costs elsewhere, never mind the third world or the second, why should Solvadi cost only $58,000 in the UK and $84,000 in the US? Shouldn't you be praising the fiscal responsibility being shown by some members of congress on behalf of their tax burdened constituents?

    Fair and Balanced regards,
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

    A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Hold on Gerry are you suggesting it is OK for the US to practice International Socialism while condemning it domestically? Why should the sick in the US pay an exorbitant price for medicines to subsidize costs elsewhere, never mind the third world or the second, why should Solvadi cost only $58,000 in the UK and $84,000 in the US? Shouldn't you be praising the fiscal responsibility being shown by some members of congress on behalf of their tax burdened constituents?

    Fair and Balanced regards,

    Thank God spring is finally here! I love the sound of crickets chirping!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Oakdale,ct.
    Posts
    2,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Exactly. Income distribution is exactly what the Ds advocate, so why the objection to the pharma company cooperating with them? Do the Ds want Egyptians to die? Shame on them. What about other poor countries who aren't as wealthy as the US, aren't they entitled to affordable health care?

    As it usually turns out, those in favor of redistribution of wealth are fine with it as long as it is someone else's wealth that is being redistributed.

    So your point is that the entire world is part of the United States?

    I thought you shared my opinion that we need to stop getting involved in the policies of other nations.

    I know, I know, you were just being sarcastic.

    Don't you feel that our country is being just a little used by that drug company, though? I was pleased to see that a couple legislators took them to task about it. Imagine what might happen if a majority from both the House and the Senate took up the mantle. It could be the start of something that would benefit everyone in this country. Yes, I realize that I am a heretic.....-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •