The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little advice

Default Need a little advice

My 8 month old yellow lab is absolutely afraid of almost everything! She is leery about going through doors and gates... She will not walk on tile or hardwood floors. Stands and looks at you like she is afraid when you call her to come... Everything was going great until about a month ago! Is she a dud? It's very agrevating and loosing patience...
    What do y'all think is going on in her head?!

There are a couple of periods in a dog's development when they can go through a fear phase. Sometimes it comes on suddenly for seemingly no reason; sometimes it is associated with a negative experience.

Sometimes a female coming into heat for the first time will get goofy and seem to have lost her mind. All of it takes patience, and sometimes some creative work-arounds to help the dog through it.

I am sure others will share their stories and tricks to get a dog through this phase.

Meredith

Thanks Meredith,
    any help and advice will do at this point. She sometimes acts like she's utterly afraid of me as well. It's the craziest thing.

How old was she when you got her and was she previously acting fine and this just popped up?

Maybe a trip to a Vet is in order...Just saying

She was 8 weeks when I got her and transitioned great. This all just started about a month or two ago. When she does make up her mind about going through doors or opens, she bolts so fast that she does have any traction at all. Almost like she's spinning her wheels. She's the sweetest dog around. Has always slept through the night in her kennel and obeys pretty good for her age.... Everything has remained the same that I know of....

I co-owned a female that was leery of hard surface floors her whole life. She would actually jump across a corner of hardwood to hit carpet. She was also an FC AFC who qualified for 6 Nationals and a great hunting dog.

Like Meredith said, maybe it's a phase, a heat cycle coming... Don't get too worked up about it.
    Bill Davis

Don't force her to do things she is shying from and like the fellow above said don't get too worked up about it. If you had another dog that would play with her for awhile this encourages them. Monkey see monkey do. Sometimes works! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Any new/sudden changes in behavior warrants vet check to rule anything out there. After that, I'd be working on reconditioning her to her environment, slowly and carefully and especially forget about being impatient or forcing her, that will just make it worse. If I had a strange, sudden change in behavior in a dog like you describe, I'd want to know why and what might have caused it, but you may not figure that out either, all you can do is work her through it at this point. Treats, patience, bumpers or whatever toys she likes to fetch, another dog, shackled bird, any and all of the above, whatever works to get her past the fear. Being afraid of slippery floors isn't unusual, but a sudden change to fear of what she's always been on and around is a little odd.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Creekrocket View Post
    She was 8 weeks when I got her and transitioned great. This all just started about a month or two ago. When she does make up her mind about going through doors or opens, she bolts so fast that she does have any traction at all. Almost like she's spinning her wheels. She's the sweetest dog around. Has always slept through the night in her kennel and obeys pretty good for her age.... Everything has remained the same that I know of....
    Sounds like she maybe slipped from racing around on slippy floors as youngsters may do, Now she associates the surfaces, or doorway as a slip and fall situation. Then they finally get up the nerve and race thru the area slipping and falling again rather than calmly going thru the area. This of course reinforces the fear. I'm going thru the same thing right now with one of mine, except that he is 11. We have solved several areas of the house by putting him on leash and having him heal thru the zones. He now calmly goes thru those areas. Still a few more to work on.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI