The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dogtra 3500 NCP or Tri Tronics Classic 70 G3

Default Dogtra 3500 NCP or Tri Tronics Classic 70 G3

So I am stuck between the decision of the Dogtra 3500 NCP or the Tri Tronics Classic 70 G3. I would like buy an e-collar that is going to last for the next 5-10 minimum. I am hesitant to go with the TT because if the Garmin buyout and have been doing research on here and seen a lot of bad TT review but good ones as well. I have seen pretty much nothing but good reviews and post about the Dogtra 3500NCP. I do like the tube style of the TT transmitter also but the dogtra seems to have more functions than the TT. Which would you guys suggest or have. If you have one of these, please tell me what you do and do not like about each.

I have used both collars. IMHO your best off with the Dogtra.

I loved my Classic 70 (just lost it this past rabbit season) but it went from HOT to SUPER HOT to just plain unbearable.
    I also have the TT pro 100 and while I could shock myself up to level 5 high with the pro 100 I could not get myself to go above a 3 on the classic 70.

IMO the classic 70 is a hound collar and hounds are just tough, or stupid, I don't know which
    I used mine on my beagles and STILL never got it up past 2. One stopped them in their tracks and made them yelp, two rolled them over in the dirt and sent them flying back to me. (I always CC my dogs the same classic way regardless of breed, so my beagles spend all summer long doing OB yard work just like any other dog, so I do think that makes them softer to the collar than a kennel hound.)

So in short I don't think the classic 70 has enough adjustment for retrievers.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I do need a hot collar but since the only one I have used is a sportdog cheapo collar from tractor supply I don't really know what hot is haha. I can put my current one on 8 which is the max and can take it ok. My dog reacts to it only when it's on 8 and while she's not runs. She can blow it off if she's running but still doesn't yelp or anything. Range is the whole reason I need a new one. The one I have only reaches about 20 yards but it said a 1/4 mile on the box but I if I buy a new one I want one that will last and meet my future needs also

There is really no comparison between those two models. It really depends on what you are doing. I will tell you that I agree with the statements made about the classic 70. If you run a program where you like to CC on low level continuous then its not the collar for you. Using it in that manner you will quickly find that a 2 may be too low but a 3 may be too high. Its very limited in retriever training IMO.

Sounds like Dogtra which is what I was already leaning towards May be my choice

Dogtra 3500. WaterPROOF. Consistent. Great range. Also, the transmitter isnt big and bulky like the tube style transmitters so when hunting, it stows away comfortably.if that's not enough, Dogtras customer service is second to none.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

I can't comment on a Tri-tronics since I've never owned one, but I have a dogtra 1200nc that I've had for 12 years and I had to replace the batteries at 10 years. I would like to try a tri-tronics but will hold off till we see what kind of service garmin has.

Dogtra 3500
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have a G3 Classic 70 and use it nearly daily. In my opinion, the Classic 70 is a great tool for simultaneously running 4 to 6 dogs.

I would agree that if one is only running 3 or less dogs simultaneously, the Classic 70 is not the best choice.

I will field marry the receiver(s) over to a Pro 500 or a Flyway for field work in most cases. I still use the Classic 70 for field work, when I do traditional retriever training on occasion. As already stated, the Classic 70 is not very adjustable, nor was it designed to be. It has six settings for each of the 6 receivers to which it can transmit. All high 1 through 6. I rarely turn the dial past 3 and in many cases keep it at 2.

I'm not familiar with the Dogtra product in question.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Does anyone have the Dogtra SureStim H Plus? This one also caught my eye because of the lower price. Any comments on it would be appreciated