The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ainley Topper on Toyota Tacoma-Question

Default Ainley Topper on Toyota Tacoma-Question

Hey all... I'm looking at getting a topper for my Tacoma. Jane sent me pics of some 4 hole setups that we're sharp looking, and the Tacoma I have has the 6' (longer the normal) bed. Thinking of a 4 hole with some storage and I'd still have my bed free for cargo.

Heres my questions:

anyone had one on a small truck? How was it? Did you have to add suspension or air bags for weight?

Anything you guys would absolutely get or not get next time you got a topper? I've only had boxes and crates, never a topper.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."

I have a 4 hole on a 1500 Dodge Ram and I added an additional spring to my truck. It helped with the weight and dragging the back down, but honestly I wished I had a larger truck! I keep waiting for my Dodge to die so I have an excuse to buy a new one...also debated between selling my four hole....

Edit: When driving through the mountains and I'm pulling a trailer with ATVs I wished I also had more gitty-up and go!

Second Edit: I should also disclose that I have the drawer system in my truck bed, plus a water tank. So additional weight.

FOM
    Last edited by FOM; 04-04-2014 at 06:00 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I have friends that have toppers on 1/2 ton trucks. They added air bags in the rear.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

0224140708[1].jpg

i am suprised jane and chad didn't show you this one. probably one of their proudest moments! lol

extra leaf bolt ons, about $75.
    john mccallie

I would definitely let them beef up your springs. I have a F350, They quoted me a price of $275.00 to add a leaf. I declined and did it when I got home at a cost of $700.00.
    Home of CH Shallcross Lake's Chaamp MH RA WDQ CGC
    Shallcross Lake's Little Rascal MH
    Shallcross Lake's Delaware Diva JH
    Four Star Molly MH
    Bob Louie

Whatever Ainley does will be done right. Go with a set of helper springs, get the best tires available and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    0224140708[1].jpg

i am suprised jane and chad didn't show you this one. probably one of their proudest moments! lol

extra leaf bolt ons, about $75.
    thats a beauty!

i was wonder about air bags to beef suspension. I'm about ready to pull the trigger and order. Anything y'all love or wish you had about your topper???

I put a set of add-a-leaf springs from Wheelers off-road on my tacoma. I estimate I have about 450 lbs of added weight (cap/crates/drawer system) in the bed and the add-a-leaf brought the tail end right back up to the factory height. I did it myself for about $80.00 and 4 hrs in my garage. there is a great tacoma forum that describes the process with pictures! Note my truck was brand new when i did this so I didn't have to deal with rusty ole seized bolts or anything.
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" MH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella" WC

The only bummer with box on toyota is the Depth of each hole. On a F-350 you can have much deeper holes. If you have big males the holes will be workable but cramped.
    I had half a mind to convert 2 opposite holes making one deeper and just store stuff in the on made smaller.
    I measured wheel well heights and bumper heights before installing box. Then went to semi truck shop to add proper springs to get back to those dimensions. they added 2 leaf springs to a tundra as a topper weighs more than you think.
    Make sure you can charge marine battery 2 ways from alternator and shore power.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Vscottv & Breck- Great ideas. Looks like I'll be adding some suspension and ordering the topper. My males usually weigh max 65 lbs so box size should be ok I think. I'm excited to have a topper. More dog stuff is always good!!