The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: congressman can't live decently on his pay

Default congressman can't live decently on his pay

charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

(Newser) – Brave? Politically tone deaf? You pick: Democrat James Moran of Virginia says he and his fellow representatives in Congress are in dire need of a raise. “I think the American people should know that the members of Congress are underpaid,” Moran tells Roll Call. “I understand that it’s widely felt that they underperform, but the fact is that this is the board of directors for the largest economic entity in the world.” Moran noted that some members live out of their offices to avoid DC's steep prices, even on salaries of $174,000.

“Our pay has been frozen for three years and we’re planning on freezing it a fourth year," he says. "A lot of members can’t even afford to live decently in Washington." He plans to introduce an amendment to remedy the problem, reports the Washington Post, but acknowledges it doesn't have much of a chance. In the meantime, he's opened himself up to shots like this from Wonkette: "Dude, you do know that if you were actually the board of directors for a ginormous company, approximately 9/10 of you would be fired for incompetence and the remainder of you would only be kept on as figureheads while a competent CEO and CFO did all the actual work, right?"
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Produce some legislation and fewer investigations and maybe we just might consider a raise then. For this batch of critters in Congress, reducing their pay 50% would be paying them lavishly for the puny effort they have put forth.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I wish he were in my district so we could vote his sorry ars out. I have Goodlatte.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

Ya gotta wonder why they apply for the job when they know how lousy the benefits and compensation are.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    Ya gotta wonder why they apply for the job when they know how lousy the benefits and compensation are.
    That's funny right there.

If they are so poorly paid, they could always go out and get another job, right?

From what we hear out of many of their mouths on a regular basis, I doubt they could get paid as much in the private sector.

If they are so poorly paid, how come so many of them that come from modest means end up millionaires after a decade or so in Congress. Biden is one of those. Boehner just bought a very nice condo in FL.

Maybe Moran is hurting since they cut out the insider trading for Congress-critters?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

His fellow congressmen must not have passed him the note with all the ways to turn a profit from the lobbyist.

Terri

This fool's district is right outside DC so he commutes daily from home! He is not running again. He doesn't even have to have 2 residences. NO mention from him of the benefits for life.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Problem is they vote themselves a raise....! Usually on a holiday weekend or the dead of night...