The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: congressman can't live decently on his pay

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    With technology where it is today they shouldn't need to be in DC. Video conference and let them do their work from their home state then their peeps can hold them accountable for how they vote.
    Perhaps they should be like the Texas legislature: meets once every two years for a fixed time and that's it. Helps keep them focused (although doesn't eliminate a bunch of shenanigans that they should not be doing).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I'd suggest his voters have mercy on this poor soul and cut him loosel so as to allow him to find a better paying gig{hopefully not as an influence peddler of lobbyist!!}

Quote Originally Posted by BrettG View Post
    With technology where it is today they shouldn't need to be in DC. Video conference and let them do their work from their home state then their peeps can hold them accountable for how they vote.
    I don't know about video conferencing, but there is a lot of merit of not sending representatives to Washington and doing voting in state. Representatives are definitely disconnected from there people. The will of the voters have been pulled out of matter thanks to congressional redistricting.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

I'm pretty sure they get a housing and food per diem. The GSA website says they get over 200 a night for hotel and like 75 a day for food. His travel costs should be nowhere in the argument for a pay raise. Since he lives so close to DC I be the is not allowed to get the per diem.

Quote Originally Posted by perry_rm View Post
    I'm pretty sure they get a housing and food per diem. The GSA website says they get over 200 a night for hotel and like 75 a day for food. His travel costs should be nowhere in the argument for a pay raise. Since he lives so close to DC I be the is not allowed to get the per diem.
    I think I remember reading somewhere that some of the members from distant states will share a rented a condo or apartment for the sessions of Congress. That $200/night could go pretty far that way. Just two sharing would mean $12,000/month! The Congressional dining facilities can also stretch that $75/day for food.

And if they live closer ... there are plenty of the rest of us who have to commute a couple of hours to our job. And you cannot deduct commuting costs on your FIT, so would there be some reason why he deserves special treatment?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I found this report, which details congressional benefits. The most noticeable thing I saw was this statement. "Members of Congress do not receive housing or per diem allowances for expenses incurred in Washington."

A salary of $174,000 is not really enough to maintain two households, at least not without it being a burden. Especially when you are only guaranteed two years of employment.

Hear is the full report. http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs...D%23P%20%20%0A

During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

This is why they need term limits. Then they could move on and get better paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I found this report, which details congressional benefits. The most noticeable thing I saw was this statement. "Members of Congress do not receive housing or per diem allowances for expenses incurred in Washington."

A salary of $174,000 is not really enough to maintain two households, at least not without it being a burden. Especially when you are only guaranteed two years of employment.

Hear is the full report. http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs...D%23P%20%20%0A
    There is obviously SOME reason why these guys then choose to bear this "burden" for so many years? The wealthy ones can do it, and get great power and prestige as a result. The poorer ones get wealthier the longer they stay there

If it cost the Congress-person $60,000/year to live there (considering they do get some other handsome benefits for their "burden" ... like Congress' private barbershop and dining halls), That would leave $114,000 for the household back home. I'd wager there are some people who live in DC who "manage" on $60,000/year (I'd be surprised if they can't take a FIT deduction for their non-reimbursed "business" expenses while in DC). If they rented an apartment for $2,000/mo that would still leave them $36,000 for other living expenses during the year. Without doubt, there are many people who live well around the country on $114,000, or even less. Perhaps if they had to experience some of the "real world" hardship of their constituents they would be more attuned to what a budget is all about?

If they are highly qualified for another job at $174,000/year, why would they not limit their public "service". OTOH, as far as the argument that we would then not have the best & the brightest in DC, from some of the statements these people make regularly, that would explain Joe Biden and Diane Feinstein quite well: only the non-best & non-brightest have remained Their tenure, however, is more about backroom politics than compensation, I think.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

why are we surprised a Congressman cant live on their salary...the way they spend our money on worthless programs and pork barrel projects, they are used to writing checks they themselves cant cash..disgusting the more you think about it
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"