The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Training schedule / duration

Default Training schedule / duration

I just recently bought a 2yr old blm who is doing transition work. What is the ideal amount of time per session ? And is 2-3 sessions a day too much ? I am self employed and am flexible with when and how often to train.Thanks. Luc
    Last edited by Luc2121; 04-05-2014 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

I prefer 2-3 shorter sessions over 1 longer one. I always do 2-3 per day when the weather permits

Best to have training group with around a dozen dogs. Dogs run a setup, rest, run another, rest. etc. On a good day you might do 3 sets of marks and a couple blinds.
    If you train alone the tendancy is to try to do too much in a few hours. Lots of effort to set up by yourself too.
    So if you train alone be careful not to cram too much in. Join a group and make a day of it.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

I train alone and have been doing 2 sets of marks and a couple blinds, but my dog wants to keep going. If it was up to him we would be doing it all day. Any negatives to having longer sessions ? He slows down a bit(after 20 bumpers)but but never looses interest, just worried that letting him work at a slower pace with make him think its ok to always work at a slower pace.

thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Luc2121 View Post
    I train alone and have been doing 2 sets of marks and a couple blinds, but my dog wants to keep going. If it was up to him we would be doing it all day. Any negatives to having longer sessions ? He slows down a bit(after 20 bumpers)but but never looses interest, just worried that letting him work at a slower pace with make him think its ok to always work at a slower pace.

thanks for the help
    I would take Breck's advice on finding a group. Not always easy to do, but worth it. Not sure what your plans are for your dog, but training alone doesn't give the dog the same "Wow" factor as group atmosphere. You may have the best line manners, etc now, but that added excitement allows for training and corrections that you might think are solid now. Also great to be mentored by people who know how to put "themes" into their setups. You may not know where to put a bird to challenge your dog, as well as teach a concept. Books and DVDs are great, but not a substitute for watching numerous dogs on a setup and learning why the react the way they do.

M
    "You can put pressure on a dog, you canít take it backÖ"

Mitch Patterson '07

MHR Wadin's Katie Lied CD, SH, WCX (11/25/93-1/27/07 Rest Well Kate)
    Brassfire's Brass in Pocket JH, WCX ** (4 Master passes)
    Brassfire's New England Patriot (New Pup!!!)

Thats great advice, even if i do it once a week in a group it would be awesome learning experience.

Thanks. Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Best to have training group with around a dozen dogs. Dogs run a setup, rest, run another, rest. etc. On a good day you might do 3 sets of marks and a couple blinds.
    If you train alone the tendancy is to try to do too much in a few hours. Lots of effort to set up by yourself too.
    So if you train alone be careful not to cram too much in. Join a group and make a day of it.
    Good advice here. I train alone alone 95% of the time. I employ the keep the KISS method.
    I do 1 setup (work on one concept) or drills in the morning and likewise in the afternoon. I vary the setups. They might be singles (mostly), doubles or triples and blinds or singles through varying cover or in water with a blind. I might run the blind first. Mix it up and try to keep my training in balance.
    I don't cram different concepts together. I try to keep the session under 3/4 hour (does not include setup & walking time) b/c I only have one dog and yes he would go all day but not a good idea. IMO Yes training alone is a lot of work. But lots of walking and good exercise!
    Last edited by Mary Lynn Metras; 04-06-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray