The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bumper size - Regular or Jumbo?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    The 3" are good for marks thrown into relatively shallow water too. The 2" bumpers sometimes make it to the bottom of the pond and stick in the mud on the bottom, or if there's a lot of vegetation on the water.
    Adding flags to the rope also serves as a vane or fletching, worsening the issue by turning the bumper into a lawn dart.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Adding flags to the rope also serves as a vane or fletching, worsening the issue by turning the bumper into a lawn dart.
    This can be overcome by using the "boomerang throw" method.

The thrower holds the bumper by the end opposite the throw rope. The throw is overhand with a snap of the wrist, sending the top end of the bumper tumbling forward. The bumper will fly end-over-end giving a nice flashing appearance at a distance.

I like to do this with puppies with no throw rope to help them watch and enjoy the "action" of the bumper in the air.

Like you wrote, the flagging does act as fletching and will slow the spin versus an un-roped bommerang tossed bumper. Surveyors tape, in particular, will get tangled around the throw ropes when thrown boomerang style.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

3" if you are doing long distances. 2" hard to see in water and land if distance is long. 2" good for puppies i keep a few but i switch fairly soon. 3" also great to identify piles (they can see them). In fact i use 3" dt because they are soft and stay soft in the winter. I also use black bumpers for marks when they show up better than white. Definitely use black in snow.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

Great comments...thanks so much. Guess I'll be ordering some more 3" bumpers today. Just wish they weren't so darn expensive.

Wishing everyone a great training, competing, and hunting season.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Another suggestion I'd have is to mix them up. Use different brands, different styles, etc. Get your dog accustomed to retrieving all bumpers equally.

we probably all have attended a training session where someone says "My dogs won't retrieve XYZ" That can be dokkens, pheasants, frozen birds, etc. My suggestion is to get them comfortable with everything. Don't let yourself be the one at the training session who needs "special bumpers".

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Good comments about 2" bumpers in H2O. I use fancy store bought black/white flagging on both small/big and white. I don't know if you can still get them or not. You can make some w/tough nylon material and brass grommets. I also use different color tapes (black/red/blaze orange) and tape the bumpers in the middle third. Pups learn real quick to pick them up in the middle (no bumps) and when you have poor background the color set off, especially black on white against an open sky works well. Also the orange allows you to use them as blind bumpers. On color , understand that about 15% of all dogs can see shades of red/orange and I am not talking about wavy surveyors tape or branches..but actual stationary color. I have had two dogs in 30 years who saw orange (opth/field checked). Buy a lot.

I like the 3" for marks and the 2" for blinds and drills, I took some nylon material and sewed a black and a white flag for mine with a grommet holding them together.

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish, but generally the 2" are sufficient for most work.