RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dogtra Edge vs 3500NCP

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  augunner 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a collar, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Dogtra 3500NCP. But I also am looking at the Edge. Biggest difference I see is that the Edge can be used on multiple dogs. I really don't need that feature as I only own one retriever. My question is, does anyone know of any other differences in these collars that would make it worth the extra money for me?

#2 ·
It appears to me that the 3500 is better suited to field training because the controls are simpler, but I haven't used either and am interested in replies of any who have. My Dogtra 18000's have nice easy-to-use controls. Nick button, continuous button - both right at your thumb - and levels on clicks (that only rarely need to be changed for a given dog.)

#3 ·
I just ordered a Dogtra Edge and I currently have a 1900. Main reason why I bought the Edge over a 3500 series are that I'm planning to run up to 4 dogs and I thought the light feature was a pretty neat idea. Below are some pros and cons that might fit your situation.

Pros of the 3500 vs Edge:
Ideal for the 1 or 2 dog hunter.
I believe these are expandable to 2 dogs (Version 3502NCP)
Buttons for page and nick without switching a dial.
Cons:
No light feature for no light situations.

Pros of Edge vs 3500:
Expandable up to 4 dogs (you probably won't need this)
Light feature for finding your dogs at night.
Cons:
You have to switch the knob to go from light, page, nick, continuous. Not ideal when you need a quick reinforcement when you're in light or pager mode.

#4 ·
I have used both and I prefer the Edge, I like the buttons on the front and the fact you can change from Rheostat to the Step stimulation. I was also very skeptical about the light feature however I use it every time I air my dogs at night and in certain hunting situations that my dogs have to run in the early morning hours. The difference was not enough for me not to purchase the Edge however I don't believe you can go wrong with either.

#5 ·
So when using it with just one collar, do you only use one of the buttons? I really like the light feature on the Edge, and for the little bit extra I can see this being nice for letting the dog out, since he is a black dog. However, if you have to change between modes constantly, I can see this being a hassle.

#6 ·
Yes, if you are running one dog you only press the button that is programed for that collar. You do have to turn the knob on the top 1 click to switch from momentary to continuous however it's not that big of a hassle and you think before you switch modes which in some cases can be better than just acting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.