The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Going to be gone. What to do with pup?

Default Going to be gone. What to do with pup?

My pup is 6 1/2 months old right now and is doing just fine. We are training daily for short sessions 1-2 times a day and everything is going great. We are going to start FF soon. My problem is that I am a college student at Auburn University and I am going to have to be gone during the summer for 6 weeks to go to forestry practicum. Being a college student, my budget is very, very low. I won't be able to work my dog but 1 or 2 weekends during them 6 six weeks because my only choice now is to leave her at home with mom and dad(six hours from where I will be) How bad is this going to set my pup back being out of training for 6 weeks? What would y'all do in this situation? Thanks.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Better to leave her with your family. Pick up where you left off when you return. I would wait on FF until you return. Good luck to you. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

leave her with the folks if they will follow the ground rules you set forth, and you will want to establish some rules for sure, just to avoid setbacks. otherwise, I would say send her to a pro for FF while you are away, and then pick back up with basics etc when you pick her up. IF you present the second option to your folks in the proper light- highlighting the advantages it has for THEM... you may be eligible for financial assitance...

If you leave her with your folks, make sure they continue to enforce her obedience. Also that any retrieving be done with a tennis ball, unless they know how to enforce your standards for bumpers.

We had to unexpectedly leave our dog several times for just a few days here and there when she was 10 months old with just a neighbor taking care of her. In hindsight, I wish I had looked for another source of care.

I hope whatever you choose to do works out well for you.
    Paula

HR Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

6 weeks off is nothing to be concerned about. I had to take much longer than that off with my current male due to a family crisis and he picked up right where we left off... if not better. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

If parents will help with finances, I might look into taking her to a trainer for the six weeks. I do get to go home for 10 days before forestry practicum starts so I could take dad with me training on them 10 days and teach him the standards when using a bumper. As KS_Hunting said, I kind of think this 6 week break will help us. If dad can keep her obedience up and do a few single marks with her every day, I will have about month and a half off of school after practicum to work with her everyday. Thanks for the input y'all. I would love to be able to send her off to a pro but that'd be tough on the pocketbook right now. Thanks!
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Don't worry about it ! the dog in my avatar photo broke her growth plate at 4 months old, had to have surgery to repair and was out of commission on strict crate rest for 3 1/2 months, plus a month for rehab! She got her SHR title this past fall, had a great first duck season picking up about 80 ducks and approx. 20 geese. We have continued training and she is progressing well into the transition period. And looking forward to getting her HR title this summer and fall.
    The only thing I see that was affected was her marking ability was set back to due the crucial time period that she hurt her leg! We are a little behind on her marking skills from were she should be, but I am pumping her with plenty of marks, and she is progressing well. I say keep your OB in check during that time your away and the other things will fall into place, you will be surprised at the things your pup will remember after the lay off ! A quick refresher is probably all you will need, and just pick up were you left off.
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)