The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop All Training? Or just retrieves?

Default Stop All Training? Or just retrieves?

I'm hoping to get some veteran advise on a somewhat alarming issue that has came about with my 7.5 month pup. Basically - he's no longer interested in retrieving...

Just a little background - I'm very much a new trainer as this is the first time I've tried to train a pup myself, so I'm quite positive I'm the problem here. He's had, from the best I can tell at least a very high retrieve drive ever since I brought him home. He's done very well with his basic obedience, had a slight little blip with his collar conditioning, and we have been working on force fetch for a few weeks now. FF has been challenging and that's about the time that I started seeing his enthusiasm for retrieving decline.

For his FF, I'm following smartfetch. He's doing really well with the "hold" portion, and he's up and moving at heel, and know hold and drop. However, he's not taking the ear pinching and "fetch" command well and even though we've been at it for a couple weeks, he's still "bugging" every session (try's to lay down, roll over, get out of the room, just all around fight me). Eventually he will give in and go through a short session but it's not been smooth.

Since I started FF, he's lost interest in retrieving, to the point to where if I send him on a retrieve, there's about a 1 in 10 chance he will actually do it. Sometimes he will run out to the bumper or dokken and leave it, others he just ignores it, others he just flat out refuses to go. Please note he was a retrieving fool up until recently so it's a bit alarming to me to see this change.

So from what I've been able to gather is that the best thing to do in this situation is to stop all retrieves. All bumpers, all dokkens, all ball in the backyard, toys in the house, everything? But my question is do I continue with the FF? Do I keep working on basic obedience? Or do I put him in a complete pause mode and just see what happens? Also if I should "stop", how long should I wait? Or am I totally of base on where to go next?

Any/all advice/criticism is appreciated and thanks!

Oh, and I should mention that my goal with this pup is to end up with a solid hunting dog and to be able to run hunt tests.

I would stop everything. Are you a member of a retriever club? if not you should join one so you can find an experienced person who knows how to FF a dog and have them watch one of your sessions. A better solution, if in your means, is to probably have a pro FF the dog for you. Hate to say, but it sounds to me if you continue on this trajectory you stand the chance of ruining your dog.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

You definitely need hands on advice for this one. Get with a club or find a pro to observe and advise
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    You definitely need hands on advice for this one. Get with a club or find a pro to observe and advise
    WAY to many variables to solve on a chat forum.
    I would lay off for a week on all training. Keep doing just fun stuff like walks, go swimming, grandma's house, dog park, and handing out. Re-connect with pup and then get some help. Don

What are you using to FF the pup? If you are using a bumper or something else that you are also using for him to retrieve , there is your problem.

Quote "What are you using to FF the pup? If you are using a bumper or something else that you are also using for him to retrieve , there is your problem."

No that's not the problem. Somewhere he is having a problem with FF and needs help. OP listen to the previous counsel. In this case stop retrieves and get help from someone that knows what they are doing.
    FF is the foundation for what's to come. Each dog is different.

Jeff
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice ***
    I Ain't No Tin Lizzy

Quote Originally Posted by swosh View Post
    I'm hoping to get some veteran advise on a somewhat alarming issue that has came about with my 7.5 month pup. Basically - he's no longer interested in retrieving....
    is he teething?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I am in the same stages of FF as you with my pup. To help solve the rolling, fighting situation try doing force fetch on top of a platform. I use the top of my kennel. Make sure its up high enough the pup does not want to roll off of it.My female started having the same problems with refusing to retrieve so I stopped using the bumper and went back a few steps to just holding. Came back to the ear pinch and it going a little smoother now. Try taking your pup out and just having a fun day or a week off. Dont make him hold or pinch his ear and throw some fun bumpers. Gave it a couple days and mine was back to normal and now has her drive back. If you do go to a pro and get help please post the advice. I would be curious to see some of their solutions to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    x3 Get help from someone who's got several dogs under their belt. I'd guess this needs to be seen to be diagnosed.

Quote Originally Posted by swosh View Post
    I'm hoping to get some veteran advise on a somewhat alarming issue that has came about with my 7.5 month pup. Basically - he's no longer interested in retrieving...

Just a little background - I'm very much a new trainer as this is the first time I've tried to train a pup myself, so I'm quite positive I'm the problem here. He's had, from the best I can tell at least a very high retrieve drive ever since I brought him home. He's done very well with his basic obedience, had a slight little blip with his collar conditioning, and we have been working on force fetch for a few weeks now. FF has been challenging and that's about the time that I started seeing his enthusiasm for retrieving decline.

For his FF, I'm following smartfetch. He's doing really well with the "hold" portion, and he's up and moving at heel, and know hold and drop. However, he's not taking the ear pinching and "fetch" command well and even though we've been at it for a couple weeks, he's still "bugging" every session (try's to lay down, roll over, get out of the room, just all around fight me). Eventually he will give in and go through a short session but it's not been smooth.

Since I started FF, he's lost interest in retrieving, to the point to where if I send him on a retrieve, there's about a 1 in 10 chance he will actually do it. Sometimes he will run out to the bumper or dokken and leave it, others he just ignores it, others he just flat out refuses to go. Please note he was a retrieving fool up until recently so it's a bit alarming to me to see this change.

So from what I've been able to gather is that the best thing to do in this situation is to stop all retrieves. All bumpers, all dokkens, all ball in the backyard, toys in the house, everything? But my question is do I continue with the FF? Do I keep working on basic obedience? Or do I put him in a complete pause mode and just see what happens? Also if I should "stop", how long should I wait? Or am I totally of base on where to go next?

Any/all advice/criticism is appreciated and thanks!

Oh, and I should mention that my goal with this pup is to end up with a solid hunting dog and to be able to run hunt tests.

Be very careful who's advice you take on here, just because one thing worked for a certain dog does not mean it will work the same for any other dog. I agree with the majority find a pro to help. FF it one of most critical points in a working dog life and if not done properly can ruin the best of dogs........... Have you tried calling Evan to get his advice? If your using his program he is always willing to help when he can.