The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How early can a male dog know a female is coming into heat?

Default How early can a male dog know a female is coming into heat?

10 moth old female, no heat cycle that I know of yet. Male intact 2 1/2 years old started acting strange yesterday afternoon. They do not air together but when I would let her out he was upset and crying to go out with her even when I knew he did not need to air. Later I kenneled her in the house and he laid down beside her kennel, not usual for him to do this. This morning when they were separated he acted the same as yesterday when they were apart.

Could she be getting ready and he sense it? If so any idea how long I have before she is in heat?

Thanks
    Dale
    Dale Long

Long's Riptide Charlie Brown SH
    Ranger's Black as the Midnight Sky

Quote Originally Posted by dalelong View Post
    10 moth old female, no heat cycle that I know of yet. Male intact 2 1/2 years old started acting strange yesterday afternoon. They do not air together but when I would let her out he was upset and crying to go out with her even when I knew he did not need to air. Later I kenneled her in the house and he laid down beside her kennel, not usual for him to do this. This morning when they were separated he acted the same as yesterday when they were apart.

Could she be getting ready and he sense it? If so any idea how long I have before she is in heat?

Thanks
    Dale
    They know well before you will see visible signs

My male knows one to two weeks before a female comes into heat.

Meredith

one more thing is if you have more than 1 (one) male, they may start to argue or fight over who is going to be top dog. once the cycle is over they are buds again,

That makes sense, yesterday was also the first time the young male had picked on the older neutered male. Guess I may have a heat cycle to deal with, hope it helps her inverted vulva.

Thanks for the replies
    Dale
    Dale Long

Long's Riptide Charlie Brown SH
    Ranger's Black as the Midnight Sky

Absolutely sounds like he knows what's coming. He can smell those hormones a mile away... literally.

I've had others smell mine ~6 wks in advance. Even my girls will let me know when another is starting to smell...

Just in case you don't know.
    You need to kennel your girl dog some place secure. Your two dogs should not even see each other for several weeks. If you have an indoor/outdoor kennel where another animal could get to the fence do not kennel her in the outdoor portion. Dogs can easily breed through fencing and can climb over and into kennels without wire tops. Confine her to indoor kennel. He should be no where near kennel or be able to get his nose on her crate.
    To be fair to your boy maybe dog kennel her in the garage if you have one. There should be at least one door between the two dogs. A closed bedroom door may seem OK but he may find a way to get in. What you think is safe may not be.
    Also to be fair to boy dog don't let him air where she goes. Air in seperate area maybe front yard and hopefully up wind of her airing area.
    have fun.
    Alternatley you can kennel boy dog and keep her in house. Indoors I would use the blue jeans dog pants w/ the velcro straps and use maxi pads changed frequently. Mine would keep it on which worked out ok.
    Last edited by Breck; 04-07-2014 at 02:00 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie