The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Another newbie with some questions

Default Another newbie with some questions

I am a newbie here on RTF and a 61 year old rookie trainer with a high powered 95 pound 2 yo choc male. He was trained through basics with a very thorough pro. When I got him back he had done OB, FF, CC and a bunch of singles and simple doubles that he does with his young FT candidates. Under some supervision I have done FTP, T, Dbl T, pattern blinds and transition work. "Turk" titled last spring as a JH and we ran our 1st SR test this weekend. We passed Saturday by the skin of our teeth, but failed miserably Sunday when he broke on a flyer. He is high motored but I always feel I have control of him in training and hunting situations. At the tests this weekend I didn't feel I had that control. I have a suspicion that I have relaxed standards a bit in training worrying about marks and lines and casting. I threw some bumpers when we got home yesterday and watched him carefully at the line and would not allow him to retrieve if he moved at all. I ended up retrieving more than he did. My question is should I remain in the yard until I get this completely corrected or can I continue with his other work and just be more diligent.? Also I am not planning on running a test until the 1st weekend in May. Do you guys think I should run if I feel he is under complete control?

Please PM me. I own the same dog just yellow, and I also took my dog from FTP on through after having FF and CC done by a very good pro. We are still very much a work in progress, but I will tell you what has worked for me, at least so far. I was able to run as test dog in SH Saturday and Sunday and he was steady on two honors and a walkup flyer. And yes, I knocked on wood as I typed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachtd View Post
    I am a newbie here on RTF and a 61 year old rookie trainer with a high powered 95 pound 2 yo choc male. He was trained through basics with a very thorough pro. When I got him back he had done OB, FF, CC and a bunch of singles and simple doubles that he does with his young FT candidates. Under some supervision I have done FTP, T, Dbl T, pattern blinds and transition work. "Turk" titled last spring as a JH and we ran our 1st SR test this weekend. We passed Saturday by the skin of our teeth, but failed miserably Sunday when he broke on a flyer. He is high motored but I always feel I have control of him in training and hunting situations. At the tests this weekend I didn't feel I had that control. I have a suspicion that I have relaxed standards a bit in training worrying about marks and lines and casting. I threw some bumpers when we got home yesterday and watched him carefully at the line and would not allow him to retrieve if he moved at all. I ended up retrieving more than he did. My question is should I remain in the yard until I get this completely corrected or can I continue with his other work and just be more diligent.? Also I am not planning on running a test until the 1st weekend in May. Do you guys think I should run if I feel he is under complete control?
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Maybe try to simulate as closely as possible the scenario he failed at the test? When prepping dogs for a new hunting scenario I often try to recreate as many variables as possible to make sure when the pup performs a task in a live situation, he's already done it successfully in a training situation.

Don't have enough posts to PM. Please email to rtdavidson@cox.net. Thanks