The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AKC Response to MH test limits & entry issues

Default AKC Response to MH test limits & entry issues

A friend wrote to AKC for information and received these reponses with permission to pass along the info. This is just a very long cut 'n paste. There was also an attachment listing all the Committee Reps. I tried to copy & paste, but it messed up. So I'll put that in a separate post.
    -----------------------

Please forgive my tardy response; I ran into a little medical incident on March 16 and am just now catching up on ‘lots of mails’ and I appreciate your patience. As usual, Mr. Mann has done an excellent job of responding to some of your inquiries.

By copy of this mailing, I’m copying each member of the committee and your submission will be discussed. A current roster of the committee is attached; feel free to communicate w/any of us. My response is in your text in italicized red:

Have a great day!

Bill T. Teague, Chairman
    Retriever Hunting Test Advisory Committee
    American Kennel Club
    734 CR 630
    Nacogdoches, TX 75964
    713-252-3918

Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:54 PM
    To: Jerry Mann; ta9@hughes.net
    Cc: Julie Dean
    Subject: Re: Customer inquiry: Master Hunt Test Entries

Thank you for your response. I've only been in the Hunt Test Venue for about 6 years. I was told that entries were limited previously but it did not work out. I don't know if this is true or not.
    I’m not aware of any previous opportunity to limit entries in a retriever hunting test. If any of the committee members or AKC reps receiving this mailing knows of any, please let us know. Entries can be limited in other AKC events such as agility tests.

You are right, more and more clubs are limiting the Master entries whether it be for financial reasons, manpower or lack of grounds. I also think Master numbers have increased because of trying to qualifying for the Master Nationals.

There are two issues you did not address. Opening dates/times and entering multiple dogs. I know that for the Golden Nationals this year the Master filled in 1/2 a day for the limit of 90 dogs. I think that is terrific. But there were some disappointed people. The difference with this Master is that the Opening date and time was announced and people were prepared to enter. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Field Trials and Hunt Tests are the only AKC venues that do not publicize an opening date/time.
    I’m not sure if FT’s & HT’s are the only venues not publicizing an opening date/time; if they are, someone needs to let us know. the suggestion that all HT clubs publish opening date & time at least 10-14 days before it opens has been submitted and is under discussion by the committee.

The only people that know when the Hunt Tests are open are the Club Members and their friends. Also pros and amateur handlers enter multiple dogs with just one click on Entry Express. I heard that in some parts of the country pros enter 10 or more dogs. I know this is their business but it really affects the people training and handling their own dogs because we love to do what out dogs were bred for. Is it possible for Entry Express to also list opening dates/times on the premiums?

This possibility will be discussed w/EE as the committee progresses thru the discussion.

Can anything be done to limit the number of entries per handler?
    This suggestion has been submitted and is under discussion as well.

If there is nothing to be done about limiting entries maybe the entry method should be random draw with an earlier closing date.

If you don't object, I would like to forward these emails to people I know that are also having problems entering Master Hunt Tests.
    Please feel free to share this info w/others and if they have suggestions, encourage them to submit them to either their time zone committee rep or me; our plan is to have all submissions discussed by the committee.

When the committee has completed it’s work, I’ll send you a report on the discussion. In the interim, if you have questions or other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for your interest and good luck w/your dogs.

Best regards,
    Bill

Again, thank you for your time.

To:
    Cc: Julie Dean <JFE@akc.org>
    Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:56 PM
    Subject: RE: Customer inquiry: Master Hunt Test Entries

In 2012 the Retriever Hunt Test Advisory Committee received a recommendation to review the issue of possibly allowing clubs to place a limit on the number of entries they have to accept in the Master level of testing. The reason for the request was that many clubs felt they had neither the manpower nor area to continue sponsoring Master test when the numbers were getting so outrageous! The Advisory Committee after much debate and club contact felt clubs should have the ability to control the number of dogs they would accept in Master test based on each clubs capacity to sponsor these events. With that in mind and by vote of the committee, they recommended to the AKC that clubs be allowed to limit entries at the Master level. From there, as you know the recommendation was reviewed and approved.

As far as what can be done to rectify the problem, I would recommend you contact the Retriever Advisory Committee with any recommendations you might have as this is already being done by numerous clubs around the country! The chairperson of that committee is Mr. Bill Teague, ta9@hughes.net.

I hope this helps with you question and maybe Mr. Teague can explain what is currently being done!

Thanks,

Jerry D. Mann
    Field Director
    Sporting Breeds
    ---------------------
    Last edited by Gerry Clinchy; 04-07-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I couldn't get that attachment to cut 'n paste. You should be able to find the regional reps on the AKC website?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

What the hell are the "Golden Nationals"???????
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I couldn't get that attachment to cut 'n paste. You should be able to find the regional reps on the AKC website?
    The AKC Retriever Hunting Test Advisory Committee
    It is the responsibility of the RHT Advisory Committee to provide input to the AKC Performance Events Department with regard to the Retriever Hunting Test Regulations. This may involve clarification of existing Regulations or new Regulations that are felt to enhance the sport. Topics for Advisory Committee discussion may originate from RHT participants or from the Committee members themselves. The Performance Events Department may also direct ideas to the Committee for consideration.

The Performance Events Department values the input of the Advisory Committee but is under no obligation to agree or act upon their suggestions. The Department may also, on occasion, act without Committee input.

Members of the Retriever Hunting Test Advisory Committee are:

Term Expires at end of:
    Eastern Time Zone Representative
    Robert Rascoe rrascoe@triad.rr.com 2016
    242 Fairfax Drive 336-765-9420 (H)
    Winston-Salem, NC 27104

Rocky Mountain Time Zone Representative
    Keith Winch keithbwinch@msn.com 2017
    11892 Hitching Post Trail 303- 805-0555 (H)
    Parker, CO 80134 303-748-1838 (C)

Central Time Zone Representative
    Richard Pyka uprwoodlndsrtvrs@hotmail.com 2014
    W 235 N 262-229-3031 (H)
    9544 Mt. Vernon Dr.
    Colgate, WI 53017

Pacific Time Zone Representative
    Tom Quarles autumnretrievers@juno.com 2015
    12725 Jordan Road 360-691-2650 (off)
    Arlington, WA 98223-9409 425-377-3793 (C)

RHTAC Chairman
    Bill Teague ta9@hughes.net
    734 CR 630 936-559-9007 (H)
    Nacogdoches, TX 75964 713-252-3918 (C)
    Bruce Bachert Bakbay Labradors
    beb@bakbay.com www.bakbay.com
    Creedmoor, TX (near Austin)

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Actually, it is the GRCA Natl Specialty. Often it is called the "Golden National" ... there should NOT be an "s" on the end.

The GRCA Natl Spec usually last 8 to 10 days. There are many events: conformation, obedience, agility, field trial, WC/WCX, tracking test, and also some sweepstakes classes in conformation. The hunt test is not a requirement, but many of the clubs also include a hunt test in the events, In addition to those events, there are health clinics for checking eyes and hearts, as well as blood collection for an Optigen clinic, and also collection of DNA for research projects. There is a field welcome banquet, a field trial banquet, a conformation "gala" dinner by Golden Retriever Foundation. Also there is a judges' education seminar and often a breeders' seminar on health issues or some other relevant topic to the breed. You begin to understand why it lasts more than a week

The event rotates through the regions of the country. This year it's in the Eastern region hosted by the SC club, but the events take place in SC, NC, and TN! Next year it will be in the Central region, hosted in the Cincinnati area. In 2016 it will be in the Western region, in CA. Then back to the Eastern region in 2017.

The field trial usually has 40-50 in each major stake. The Qualifying can be 60-100. Best of Breed in conformation is well over 100 dogs in the ring. The field trial is always on weekdays, so it usually means that field trial people can get in 3 field trials in one week's time (the mid-week Natl bracketed by all-breed trials on the weekend preceding the Natl & the weekend following the Natl)
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

So, it's a fluffy frootloop convention?
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

How about you not be so crusty...

FOM
    RTF Moderator
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Go watch the field trial, and you might want to describe it differently
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com

Jeez, I thought you knew something about the retriever game.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Yes, I got my hackles up with" coperdoc" but will not go there. Bite my tongue!