The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad case of Pancreatitis?

Unhappy Bad case of Pancreatitis?

My 4 year old YLF has a bad case. We were on vacation last week and left her here at the house with my brother. He says nothing crazy happened while we were gone.

Had to take her to the emergency vet yesterday after vomiting for roughly 8 hours. Wish I had not waited so long.

Anyway, they ran a battery of tests. X rays, blood work, IV fluids, pain meds, etc. Tests came back with very high levels confirming Pancreatitis.

I picked her up this morning at 7:00 am and straight to her regular vet, who was waiting on us with all paperwork already faxed to him.

I know and trust my vet. He took more blood and is sending it to Auburn, I believe. He also did an ultrasound, and her Pancreas showed on the sound, which he says it usually is not clear unless there is a problem.

For now, he has her, and is giving IV fluids, antibiotic, and pain meds. He will call us at the end of the day to let us know what we should do next.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

We take excellent care of our dog. No children, so she is our baby.

She is also my hunting buddy, so I am worried sick.

Sorry to hear that. One of my females was diagnosed with it this past winter. We really thought she was dying in front of us. After emergency treatment and stabilization with meds, my vet recommended a very low fat diet. Absolutely no table scraps either. So far so good. Good luck with your pup.

Hope your vet gets her stabilized and on the road to recovery ASAP! Sending good thoughts and wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Just admitted her at Auburn. My vet said it was time for someone with better internal medicine. If you would have told me 10 years ago I would drive a dog to an out of state vet. I would say you are nuts.

Well, marriage to a caring woman, and my little yellow hunting buddy changed that thought process.

Please keep her in your prayers.

She's in the best possible hands...

It is a slow recovery but requires intensive treatments/care initially and as they recover may require diet change etc. Pain control and hydration are key, in my experience.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...S=0&C=0&A=2214
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Sorry to hear this, it's so hard when our buddies are sick. She should be in good hands: hopefully they will be good about keeping you informed and get her on the road to recovery. It's been my experience that the first bout is usually recoverable, but she will likely be more susceptible to it in the future. Careful attention to diet for awhile.

Hope you get good news.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I changed her diet from Purina Lamb and Rice to the purple Victor bag. She had some allergies and after some research I changed her to Victor. I am not a vet. Could this change have created this problem?

I would think not since I went to a higher quality food, but I have not idea.

Acute pancreatitis is normally brought on by eating something toxic, like a dead animal, a lot of fat like suet or getting into the garbage. A change in commercial food doesn't seem a likely cause.

Meredith

Senior Member Lesa Cozens Dauphin's Avatar

I had a Bichon get it once after getting into the garbage. She was pretty sick for a week. Came back from it pretty well, but I had to be careful about what she ate. I hope your girl is feeling better soon. It is awful when they are sick!

lesa c
    Ramblin Maxx Retrievers

Headed to Auburn in the morning. Should know by morning if she was able to hold down the feeding tube food.