The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Gunners up help

Default Gunners up help

So I bought 3 used gunners up and 3 sets of Dogtra electronics. One unit has old rubbers and the other 2 I just put all new rubbers on. The unit with old rubber will work with all 3 electronics. The other 2 will only work with one set of electronics. They all will work without bein under a load.Wondering what would cause that. Batteries not having enough power to operate servo under a load?? Servos goin bad?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Senior Member Richard McCullough's Avatar

I had one that did not work under a load but functioned without a load. I changed the servo and all is good. That could be your problem. If receiver batteries are in question change those also.
    4XGMPR HRCH Lankas Labs Brandys Maximillion MH "Max"

1.5XGMPR HR Rick's Rooster Smasher of DRL SH "Eli"

GMPR HR Bearpoint's They Call Me The Breeze SH "Breeze"

The New Club; Piedmont Pointing Labrador Club

I had a similar problem with a ZW once and it was the servo also.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I would make sure your electronics are fully charged. I have the same set up as you but my electronics are 10 years old and in original batteries. If the charge was weak, they wouldn't work. Since I have replaced all the batteries and haven't had any problems since.

9 times out of 10 it is that the receiver is not fully charged or cannot be fully charged. The 10th time is the servo.

It happens a lot with new rubbers, especially if you upgrade to Theraband or something a little more powerful than the stock stuff.

the 1st series of gunners up came with a push together connection down by the servo and they some times corroded and would loose contact

Take it apart and clean everything with gun solvent. I just did mine last night, and they were so gummed up, the servo had a hard time moving the release. Oil it up a bit too. If it still doesn't work, swap out the servo...Gunner's up has replacement servo's for 26 bucks....most hobby shops have the same servo for 9 bucks....the servo motor is CS-60.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/hobbico/.../HCAM0149.html
    The dog will always prove you wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Labs View Post
    .Gunner's up has replacement servo's for 26 bucks....most hobby shops have the same servo for 9 bucks....the servo motor is CS-60.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/hobbico/.../HCAM0149.html
    If only it were that simple. We take out the guts of every Gunners Up servo motor and reconfigure so they will turn the correct direction no matter which type of elecronics you are using.

From what you described in your original post it sounds like the electronics may not be properly charged. Secondly, you said these launchers have new tubing on them. If you go to a bigger diameter tubing or make the tubing shorter to get a bigger throw you can actually over power the servo to the point of where there is too much force on the latch and not enough torque in the servo to overcome the force of the tubing. Always keep in mind for every action there is an equal and opposite reation. Check these two points out and if this doesn't help give us a call and ask for Jerry and he will get you taken care of.

All the best!

Rich Davis
    Official Launcher of the 2005, 2006,2007,2008,2009 & 2010 HRC Fall & Spring Grand!

Thanks guys. I'm having all my batteries rebuilt as we speak for $24 a piece.. I will be cleaning and oiling everything down tonight. I ordered the new rubber kit from you guys at gunners up so I would hope you sent me the right diameter and length rubbers??? But I will call in the morning just to make sure!