The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on 1st Hunt test

Default Advice on 1st Hunt test

Well I did it, I registered my 3.5 BLM for his 1st Hunt test. Im both nervous and excited, dont want to embarrass either of us. Any advice?

What venue and what stake?
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

BREATHE! Watch test dog, BREATHE, ask questions, BREATHE! Get plenty of rest, BREATHE, feed your dog 1/2 rations morning of HT, BREATHE. Air dog, BREATHE! Have fun, BREATHE! You're not alone, there are other 1st timers, BREATHE! LEARN!

dont be like me, and at the line when the mark comes out, say "dog's name SIT" ....and then wonder why the dog launched, when he was really going on his name. I can't get used to that!!! told my wife I'd renamed the dog HERE

Do a search under "1st hunt test" and "first hunt test" and you'll find a ton of information. Get there early and attend the handlers meeting, watch the "test dog" and ask questions at the appropriate time.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Strike Labradors View Post
    BREATHE! Watch test dog, BREATHE, ask questions, BREATHE! Get plenty of rest, BREATHE, feed your dog 1/2 rations morning of HT, BREATHE. Air dog, BREATHE! Have fun, BREATHE! You're not alone, there are other 1st timers, BREATHE! LEARN!
    That's great advice. I will add that if it is AKC, you may hold the dog by the collar before you send him. He may be steady as a rock in training, but the test cost $75. Have fun. You will meet a lot of nice people. I sure did.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    That's great advice. I will add that if it is AKC, you may hold the dog by the collar before you send him. He may be steady as a rock in training, but the test cost $75. Have fun. You will meet a lot of nice people. I sure did.
    Thats not true at every level Dave. Your hands free in senior and master. Either way...have fun. Let the judges know this is your first test. Talk to people! You will learn a lot, and make new friends. Don't take things too serious. Your dog may act totally nuts and embarrass you...don't let him. Laugh it off and remember that all dogs will act like idiots at some point. Go to the bathroom before it's getting time to run. If you don't get called back, ask to help the club with the event for the rest of the weekend. You already paid for making the trip...you might as well spend time learning how a test runs.

Don't rush...take your time and do things slowly when it's your turn to run. There's no hurry. From the time you leave the last holding blind to go to the line, you *own* the test and the time. If you relax and move slowly and nonchalantly but deliberately, it will help your dog maintain focus.
    Relax and have fun. It's just dogs picking stuff up.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

It's good that you took that first step...Now....don't think about it anymore and just train your dog. Focus on that and you will do just find.

Take your tags off your flat collar...