The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Length of Continuous Stimulation

Default Length of Continuous Stimulation

Alright, I may be looking way too deep into these new collars, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing. So I was reading the Manuals for the Dogtra collars, and their continuous stimulation mode only allows for 12 seconds of continuous use. Does this seem to be long enough for everyone? I haven't found anything for the Tri-Tronics collars that gives any limit on the length of continuous for their collars. Thanks for any and all input. This will be the first collar I've ever bought, so I'm trying to do it right the first time.

12 is PLENTY. In fact I'm a little scared after reading that question. If I remember correctly TT times out at 10 and SportDog I think is 8. I'm pretty sure 12 is the longest. Happy burning!

I'm kidding......learn how to use a collar properly before putting it on your dog.

Tri Tronics is 8 seconds. I have never seen anyone hit the 8 second mark and I would not expect too.
    I never use the Nick mode and adjust the continuous mode length of stim. to the response.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by augunner View Post
    Alright, I may be looking way too deep into these new collars, but anything worth doing is worth overdoing. So I was reading the Manuals for the Dogtra collars, and their continuous stimulation mode only allows for 12 seconds of continuous use. Does this seem to be long enough for everyone? I haven't found anything for the Tri-Tronics collars that gives any limit on the length of continuous for their collars. Thanks for any and all input. This will be the first collar I've ever bought, so I'm trying to do it right the first time.
    You are scaring me....that is all I am going to say.....

If you need more than 12 seconds---heck, if you need more than maybe three---- you've got bigger problems.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I have Dogtra collars (3) and unless the newer ones are different, mine all stated in the manuals that the continuous mode is 8 seconds. I can't imagine needing that, much less longer. 8 seconds is a rodeo ride--that's too long for dog training!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Lardy's burn (continuous stimulation) is for a count of one thousand one (one sec) or maybe two sec at worse. Some trainers use a longer burn but at a very low level as I understand it.

I forget, but I believe I read that a nick on TT is 1/10 of a second.

To OP. Please buy a training program to follow in the use of ecollar
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-08-2014 at 05:44 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I'm hoping the original post was a trolling attempt. It's dog training, not the electric chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Marshall View Post
    12 is PLENTY. In fact I'm a little scared after reading that question. If I remember correctly TT times out at 10 and SportDog I think is 8. I'm pretty sure 12 is the longest. Happy burning!

I'm kidding......learn how to use a collar properly before putting it on your dog.
    I howled. Way too funny.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Easy guys, I've never used a collar before. I've always trained herding dogs and never had a need for the collar. I am by no means the person that will be getting down with the collar on my dog. I understand the use of the collar fairly well. I was just over thinking things. I do plan to use training programs. My pup is only 12 weeks now so I have a long time until I even need a collar. As of now we are working through Hillman's puppy program.

I figured out where I was confusing myself. I was thinking about FF and thinking that it could possibly take time at first to get the dog to fetch. However, I don't know why I was even thinking about it that way because I'll be using the ear pinch not the collar. Honest mistake guys.