The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Junior/Started Test

Default Junior/Started Test

While talking with some friends during class today, the topic of our retrievers came up. We discussed hunting, training, etc... During this I began to wonder does getting a junior or started title really "prove" anything? I came home and looked at my pups pedigree and there are two JH titles in it with various other titles and just wondered do professionals view JH/Started titles with little notion. I have made up my mind that my pup and I will definitely be trying for both of these titles, but was just wondering how you professionals and trainers with more experience than myself view these titles. Would you skip them? etc...
    Thanks

P.S. I did a search of junior/started threads and saw where some people said to skip them in certain cases, some said give it a go. I think my pup will give it a go!

Edit: For clarification, would you professionals and more experienced trainers ever get a JH title and quit, or would you consider that a waste of time. My dog is not FF trained, but seemed to earn his place hunting this year and I think tests would be fun for us both.
    Last edited by swampboy91; 04-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.

My question would be, if you got JH, you enjoyed training & spending time with your dog, and your dog had the talent to do more, why would you stop there? Well, money aside...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I would continue with different tests. It is looking like it may take a while to get to the higher levels with force fetch and other training during a college schedule. I'm trying to be very optimistic on him achieving higher titles!

I got my first lab when I was 18. I've hunted with one ever since and am on my seventh one. She is the first one that I have tried to take to a higher level and we have attained a Started title. It's been a blast and all I can tell you is that I wish I would have gotten into it like this twenty years ago. Good luck to you.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

I think Kindergarten is kind of BS and most universities don't look hard at it but I still send my kids because they seem to have fun and I always need new stuff to hang on the fridge!

We reccomend it for bitches just in case there is an injury to the pup that ultimately ends it's career at least the pup carries a title if the bitch exibited the talent and pedigree along with health clearances justifies breeding her down the road.
    ~Cortney Bally~

Home of:
    HRCH Fairwinds Bayou Boogie Woogie WCX MH *** (10/05)
    HRCH Elm Creek's' Koa WCX MH (07/07)
    HRCH Nebo's Uptown Girl MH *** (04/08)
    HR Bally's What Else But Hunt WCX SH *** (11/09)
    HR Bally's What Happens In Vegas WC SH *** (02/10)
    HR Bally's Swinging For The Fence SH *** (08/10)
    HRCH Bally's Best Blonde Joke JH (03/12)

I think the concern for most is (i) running tests before you really have the dog under control and (ii) making the dog test wise earlier than necessary. I needed the line time myself with my first dog, and you really don't know what a different dog you will have coming off the tailgate at an event until you have experienced it firsthand. I have heard a few folks say there's no need to run one until he/she is ready for Master, and I can see the logic in that once you have a good idea what it takes to be successful.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Tony I love your post. When I first started out in this game I only ran Junior / Started. I didn't know what I didn't know. As time went on I realized that I wanted to step it up and go for the brass ring. I had learned much more about field training and I had some great training partners and a wonderful coach.
    Do I look at the JH on a pedigree, yep it tells be that the dog has something between it's ears and some desire. I would prefer to see the upper level titles but some dogs have bad luck with either an injury or a training incident that will limit their ability to move further up.
    I choose to run my young dogs in Started in the HRC program. I then move up through the point system, as for AKC I have chosen to only run Master from now on due to the cost of entries.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

I personally see no point in it I would rather spend the entry money on more travel to nice grounds and or more flyers ect. As far as breeding if the bitch is from a line I was really looking for and she got hurt early on, the JH or Started title really doesn't mean or show me anything other she can retrieve a simple single, so it really makes no difference. BUT it is a starting point for alot of new people and gives new people a goal and keeps them interested in the club, hopfully they will get the bug and take the next step, unfortunatly many don't because they run there dogs way to early in JH or Started and end up with a mess they have no way of fixing, then they get frustrated and drift away. So to OP befor you decide to run your dog in J or Started take the time to train to the next level then run your dog , end result will be much better and you will have one heck of a nice hunting partner in the end.. Spend that entry money on quality training time on quality grounds, try to hook up with a pro or good AM group that you can throw birds for and get some coaching in the process ect..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 04-08-2014 at 07:39 AM.

I think that it matters little what other folks think about it. The folks who earn that first JH title, in each and every case I know, are incredibly proud and happy.