The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakes!!!

In the early 80's I had a GSP snake broke, as I was told. I had it done at a FT where a guy was there with a defanged rattler and an ecollar that had one setting on it in those days, which was HOT. He led my dog up to the snake, and when it struck my dog he burned her at the same time. She jumped straight in the air and yelped, he said the dog believes the snake burned her and will leave em alone now if she smells em before stepping on one. He then said that will be $75.00 thank you very much. I was a young E5 in the Navy then with a family, and $75.00 was a lot of money to me in those days so I was happy and convinced that my dog would never get bit becuase of the amount I spent. I eventually sold her and heard later she died of a snake bite.
    Last edited by freezeland; 04-08-2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

I most certainly do not question freezeland's post... I have seen dogs desnaked .. and then get bit.. but it wasn't because the desnaking wasn't effective.. it was due to the dog not knowing the snake was there.. One that comes to mind was running and just by chance stepped on or near the rattlesnake.. Like Bill said a tree could fall on you too

I have also however seen desnaked dogs have an encounter with a rattlesnake... and there was NO doubt of the effectiveness of the desnaking. Just my experience.. If your paranoid... desnake, get the vaccine and carry dex. There... peace of mind
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Can someone please tell me what DEX is.
    De snacked mine and after that when I was doing obedience with young dog she did a back flip over my shoulder when I steped on a long twig. she loves to eat the sticks now.
    A few months ago I couldnt figure out why 2 dogs had there heads stuck threw the fence and went out and there was a big snake curled up and ready to strike, but it wasnt a bad snake

All you who took the time to respond, thanks. I have until June when ZEUS will be 6 months old.

I too want to know what Dex is.

Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, controversial when used to treat snake bite

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyJ View Post
    Big thing to look out for around Blount's Creek is gators
    I would be much more worried about the big lizards than snakes during early season or training during the warmer months. We have them both here.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Can someone please tell me what DEX is.
    De snacked mine and after that when I was doing obedience with young dog she did a back flip over my shoulder when I steped on a long twig. she loves to eat the sticks now.
    A few months ago I couldnt figure out why 2 dogs had there heads stuck threw the fence and went out and there was a big snake curled up and ready to strike, but it wasnt a bad snake
    Does that mean you took her treats away.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Could this possibly work with humans? I am in dire need of being de snacked.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, controversial when used to treat snake bite
    Obviously I'll defer to the good Dr. and try to limit my non-professional pharmacology advice on here...

I would however be interested being ..."De-Snacked" as well... Gotta love the autocorrect
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

BWA hahahaha