The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Transporting live birds

Default Transporting live birds

I'm looking at picking up a couple of live birds for the first time, my dog's never had seen a live one. When I go to pick them up, what do I put them in to get them home/training ?

A simple approach is to use a cardboard box. Since you probably will be using real birds again, you might look into buying a crate like the one in this photo. The height in the photo is excellent for quail (smaller birds). I've used this size for ducks, but a taller one would be better.

Crates (lnk)
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Since you specified "live birds," that would be a gamebird or poultry crate from Kuhl's - spacious, durable, reasonably easy to obtain.

Now if you'd asked about "pre-live birds" - I would tell you that transporting and "natural delivery" can get a little precarious. Like what I came upon in the middle of the road last weekend on my way to pick up flyers (live birds - ducks in this case).

Unfortunately, the goose that had transported (and prematurely delivered) it was nowhere to be found.

MG

You can use a plastic dog/cat crate to take them home.

If you keep them awhile, you will want something fancier to keep them them clean. Ducks, for example, play in the water, then they spill the food and water all over the cage floor. To top things off, they poop in the water and in the food as well as the bottom of the crate. Of course it then gets all over the birds themselves.

Pigeons, you can put newspaper on the bottom of the crate and slide in dowels for them to perch on, they stay clean that way.

Pheasants...hmmm...
    Renee P

I have used a dog kennel in the past. Be sure not to use the same kennel as your using to transport your dog. That would prove hard on the birds in most cases.
    Don

I used cardboard cat box to get home and then just a small bird cage. I only had 2 pigeons at the time. Then on flew away (forgot to re-clip flight wings). Bought a chucker and it had a heart attack after 2 retrieves.

Pigeons are fine in a dog crate, pheasants need to be in something that keeps them hunkered down & covered with a dog food bag ormomething similar so they don't kill themselves flushing into the top.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I use a Small dog crate for transporting birds > works perfect
    Last edited by Bill Slutsky; 04-09-2014 at 12:09 AM.

We use a cat-sized crate for handling 2-4 birds at a time. Cardboard boxes are fine... even a pillowcase will work.

cat carrier works pretty well. card board boxes are a one time use in my opinion if you have 5 or more birds