The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pup gives no reaction to e-collar

Default Pup gives no reaction to e-collar

I have a new pup that I am trying to start CC with and can not get any reaction with the e-collar, not even a muscle twitch. I am using a dogtra 1900 ncp and it is working fine on my other dog at the same level that has always worked. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnold View Post
    I have a new pup that I am trying to start CC with and can not get any reaction with the e-collar, not even a muscle twitch. I am using a dogtra 1900 ncp and it is working fine on my other dog at the same level that has always worked. Has anyone run into this or have any suggestions?
    Test it on yourself. Also try longer prongs if you haven't already.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

How old is your pup?
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

All dogs are different. In Lardy's cc DVD he starts to question if he was getting a reaction and he was on continuous 5 or 6 on a TT collar. This max on TT. There was no physical reaction.
    Then the dog started lag behind when walking at heel. This was the sign that he was getting stimulation. Later he got
    some vocal reaction but it was a while before this happened
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

pup is 7 months old. and I have tried collar on myself and other dogs and is working. I have 3/4" prongs on it. tried again this morning and barely got a twitch with collar turned all the way up.

I think the "no reaction" is your reaction. The dog is shutting down from the pressure. Not all dogs will vocalize.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I think the "no reaction" is your reaction. The dog is shutting down from the pressure. Not all dogs will vocalize.

Meredith
    Right on Meredith!

I may be wrong but I don't think he is shutting down. The reason I say this is because while applying collar pressure he will just sit wagging his tail while giving a big puppy grin wanting to know when he gets to retrieve again.

interupt an activity he is engaged in with a nick, starting at low. do not interupt any activities you will later be encouraging... you need to learn to recognize his recognition of the stimulation. If he is already engaged with you when you apply the stimulation, and isn't giving an ear flick or blink what etc- he may just be stoic/ you are reenforcing paying attention to you with the collar, without realizing it- and his response is just to become more attentive, as that seems to be what makes the stimulation stop.

edit
    also that big puppy grin can be you misinterpreting him showing some stress. wagging and smiling are all the tools he has to appease you- absent a command to carry out.
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 04-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Sometimes when the level is too high for a particular dog they appear not to react. The recommended procedure of starting at a very low level and watching for a reaction is a good one.

Amy Dahl