The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pup gives no reaction to e-collar

Amy that is what I have tried to do and what started this post. I have always started a dog with a collar by sitting them and starting at lowest setting and gradually worked upward until I see a muscle twitch. with this pup I started at zero and went up all the way up with no response besides him looking at we wondering what we were doing and the whole time wagging his tail and grinning. during hear drills same thing, no response from collar pressure.

Is this the first dog you have collar conditioned? If you are having trouble I'm in Longview and would be happy to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnold View Post
    I have always started a dog with a collar by sitting them and starting at lowest setting and gradually worked upward until I see a muscle twitch.
    Don't sit the dog. When you sit him he is going to be more concentrated on you and what you want and less about whats going on around him.

Try to take him for a walk and while hes busy playing and sniffing around then do it. See if you get a reaction then.

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.

What command are you giving when you apply the collar? And what is he doing before you give the command? I believe Lardy says you're looking for a change in beharior, if the dog is sitting and you say sit and apply the collar how can he change his behavior. But if he's jogging to you on a here command my understanding is all you need as a reaction is increased speed after the collar pressure. He doesn't necessarily need to twitch or anything. That is my understanding of Lardy's philosophy. If my memory serves Lardy starts cc on sit, then starts walking the dog at heel commands sit, gives choke chain pressure and collar. Then I believe he starts doing collar alone. As Wayne said the dog in the video didn't react much until he started lagging behind him while walking on heel. That is when he starts using it for here. If I'm wrong on that please correct me. Not my own thoughts just relaying Lardy's, which I think is the best cc DVD I've seen.
    Last edited by Daren Galloway; 04-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Daren Galloway

Is there a specific program you're following?

My question is how did he respond to ear pinch, choke chain, stick pressure and pinch collar pressure.
    You did use other forms of pressure before going to the collar correct?
    Would have to know this before I comment further.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jollydog View Post
    My question is how did he respond to ear pinch, choke chain, stick pressure and pinch collar pressure.
    You did use other forms of pressure before going to the collar correct?
    Would have to know this before I comment further.
    he responds very quick with ear pinch and is fairly sensitive with a choke collar. I have not used a healing stick or pinch collar.

I would try this: get a pinch collar and use it for sit. Make sure you are getting ass down on the jerk and release.
    If need be add a heeling stick to hit rear with same time you give command and Jerk and Release.
    After he gets working good with you on that - replace the pinch collar with the e collar pressure.
    You should only use enough electricity to get the desired result. You have to make sure he is solid
    with pressure of a choke chain or pinch collar before you use the E collar. You want it to be black and white to the dog.
    Using it on the sit command should give you that.
    I don't think you said what command or task you were trying to get him to do when you were applying the pressure. That
    is also important to know - maybe it was a task he does not understand yet.
    Not sure if any of this helps. Just know I want my dog solid on other forms of pressure before I go to the collar and when I do it is a task or command
    he is solid on like sit.
    Good Luck
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    What command are you giving when you apply the collar? And what is he doing before you give the command? I believe Lardy says you're looking for a change in beharior(to the command,either performing the act or speeding up the response to the command), if the dog is sitting and you say sit and apply the collar how can he change his behavior. But if he's jogging to you on a here command my understanding is all you need as a reaction is increased speed after the collar pressure. He doesn't necessarily need to twitch or anything.
    I think Daren is giving you good advice, we train with collars to get quick reliable response to our commands, the goal should be to use the least aversive necessary to do the job.
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I think the "no reaction" is your reaction. The dog is shutting down from the pressure. Not all dogs will vocalize.

Meredith
    Plus the dog may not know what to do with the pressure? They may be internalizing....need to make sure they understand pressure. How's the dog with an ear pinch during FF? What about stick fetch?

Edit - hahahaha I didn't read all the responses and noticed "jollydog" and myself are on the same sheet of music

Second Edit - I agree with her advice, sit is a good place to start with other forms of pressure than the e-collar. (leave the e-collar on the dog, just don't use it)
    Last edited by FOM; 04-09-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot