The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pup gives no reaction to e-collar

thanks for all the advice from everyone. looks like I have several things to re-evaluate moving forward.

I am amazed that if in fact many of the pros are right, and the dog is internalizing that is crazy! I own a dogtra e- collar and can't imagine putting it at the highest level and not getting a full jump from a dog regardless if they understand the pressure.

For starting at point zero: Did you put the plastic clear through attachment on the collar probes and take it from progressively low to high watching the intensity of the color change? That way you know that the level the transmitter is on is accurately reflected in the collar.

Just saying I would check the equipment from top to bottom just to make sure (if you haven't already) even if your older collar trained dog reacts (he is trained so even a low level could be enough to get him to say oops).

Quote Originally Posted by jrrichar View Post
    I am amazed that if in fact many of the pros are right, and the dog is internalizing that is crazy! I own a dogtra e- collar and can't imagine putting it at the highest level and not getting a full jump from a dog regardless if they understand the pressure.

For starting at point zero: Did you put the plastic clear through attachment on the collar probes and take it from progressively low to high watching the intensity of the color change? That way you know that the level the transmitter is on is accurately reflected in the collar.

Just saying I would check the equipment from top to bottom just to make sure (if you haven't already) even if your older collar trained dog reacts (he is trained so even a low level could be enough to get him to say oops).
    That is exactly why I was looking for help. I have always used dogtra and have seen some pretty high rolling dogs that couldn't take full power. I have tried the collar tester as you mentioned and yes it is working like it should. I just wondered if anyone had ever had a dog that was thick skinned enough that they could not feel it. As far as "internalizing", I will have to re-evaluate that. I even let pup run around and play with one of the older dogs and tried using the collar and he acted like the collar was not even turned on.(it was, I checked). but again thanks everyone, I have some things to look at.

Keep in mind you can keep turning up the dial to get a physical reaction, but once you put too much pressure on a dog, you can't take it away.

Any time it comes to determining what the correct level of e-collar pressure is appropriate, it is better to err on the side of caution and knowing without a doubt that the dog UNDERSTANDS the pressure.

I'd also recommend you find a VERY experienced Pro or Amatuer who can help you evaluate the concerns you have - the internet is always hard to know for sure without seeing first hand.

You are in Tyler, TX - plenty of options to get quality professional help.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

IS THE COLLAR ON TIGHT ENOUGH?? Before going any further, Try to put your fingers under the prongs while it is on the dog. If you can get your fingers under the prongs relatively easily , you need to tighten the collar.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

hmm I've hit myself with a 127 dogtra, I can't imagine a puppy being able to take that, especially if he's sensitive in all other areas. Makes me think your not making good contact with his skin. Might try moving the receiver to the back of his neck , instead of the side. I had one who I could never get collar contact on the side of the neck. I also had one who was a master of pinching a collar-off, she didn't like the prong touching her skin at all, so she'd move it so they wouldn't, she'd also shrink when wet and I'd have to tighten the collar several times during a session. Moving the receiver to the back of the neck stopped all of that.

Other than that I've had weird collar malfunctions where if the collar and receiver weren't close together it wouldn't work, or the collar wouldn't maintain a charge after a single nick. One was antenna and the other battery, I've had a malfunctioning prong once that would work sometimes and sometimes not, a wire was broken up inside.

Also I've a dog that reacts if they see me I push the collar button whether it working or not, heck she'll scream when she's knows she's done something wrong and I don't hit the button (could your other dog be playing you )
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

If you have a friend with an ecollar borrow his for a session. Also keep the other dog out of it. I think you have a malfunctioning collar. Put collar on your hand and have someone you trust walk off 100 yd and push the button.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Plus the dog may not know what to do with the pressure? They may be internalizing....need to make sure they understand pressure. How's the dog with an ear pinch during FF? What about stick fetch?

Edit - hahahaha I didn't read all the responses and noticed "jollydog" and myself are on the same sheet of music

Second Edit - I agree with her advice, sit is a good place to start with other forms of pressure than the e-collar. (leave the e-collar on the dog, just don't use it)
    Got my vote: Maybe you are doing something that the dog doesn't understand.

Edit to post: The fact that the dog is wagging their tail is saying something to you. Just saying.
    Last edited by BJGatley; 04-09-2014 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Add more content.

I may be wrong but I don't think he is shutting down. The reason I say this is because while applying collar pressure he will just sit wagging his tail while giving a big puppy grin wanting to know when he gets to retrieve again.
    That's because your dog's not getting any juice,, or get a piece of Kriptinite and tape it to his tail and see if that helps ,, never had a dog show NO sign at all when hit with full intensity. it will tighten musscles even in the toughest of the toughest. If you ever witnessed a dog continuing happily with his work in slow motion you will know what I mean.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Pete, what is this kriptinite?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"