The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark it yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    That is what is known as a "Pop"...lots of threads on the RTF about them, but the bottom line is that you want no part of them ....also for now you might want to stop the practice of running a blind in between marks, all it does right now is confuse the dog about the task at hand
    Actually I'd rerfer to it as a "no go"; want no part of those either

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    Actually I'd rerfer to it as a "no go"; want no part of those either

probably more accurate description
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

If I do the blind first, I try not to line him to the mark but let him come in and place himself. I cue him "where's your mark" IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Do you use holding blinds in the field to hide your launchers? If distances are reasonable then both you and the dog should be able to pick them out. You might consider going to white stickmen for a while and run lots
    of singles.
    Are you using ducks?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    Gage has been a pretty good marker. We are training at Master level. Actually he has proven to be a better marker than I am and therein lies the problem. Even though he marks a fall if I'm not lined up exactly he will take my "line" even though he knows where the bird has dropped. I don't want to handle him to a mark. He doesn't pop and I don't want to get him started so I will walk out to the area of the fall and tell him to "hunt it up". He then goes right to where he knows the bird is.

As a possible cure I have set up a holding blind that I stay behind and sit him in front of. He is very steady so no problem there. I've given him a number of singles and sent him remotely. That seemed to work. He goes straight to the fall. Also, I have done the "training alone" exercise where I put him in a sit and walk out up to 100+ yards and hand throw marks. He will sit until I send him and retrieve to me where we do it over again. This too seems to be working. He is relying on his own eyes instead of my body position.

My question is how do we transition back to him regaining confidence in his own marks and not line up on me.

He has passed three HRC Finished tests (out of four) and has had four great first series in AKC Master (unfortunately in four different tests).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    You need to learn to spot bowl
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

Drakehaven, That almost went over my head. I haven't thought about spot bowling in many, many years.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

I apologize if this over simplifying. If it's a left healing dog, point your left foot towards the memory bird right after it's thrown. When the dog returns he will be more or less lined up. I would run more singles so the dog grows confidence in his marking, than run some multiples. After that run about 80/20 singles to multiples. But after that's said you still need to learn to mark as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    If I do the blind first, I try not to line him to the mark but let him come in and place himself. I cue him "where's your mark" IMO
    This. Does anybody else's dog come back to the line and then back himself into heel pointed at the next bird? Mine has always done that and it seems to work for us.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Hmm I'd set him up for remote marking and sends; if your not beside him to screw him up, he should go to where he knows the bird is. Bring a nice chair to sit in why he does the work Problem Solved

Still in training I wouldn't mess with him at the line, I'd send him; if he goes to the wrong place-or takes the wrong line (on a mark), I'd whistle sit him NO nick, Get in here!!! Get your mark (Resend), Dog learns it's his responsibility to get to the mark, the correct way. Regardless if handler sent him in the wrong direction, wrong line etc. Marks are his job, lining up correctly for marks is part of that job...Blinds are another matter entirely; probably why we have cues to tell a dog when it's his job or ours (Mark) (Dead Bird) (Leave it) etc.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-09-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    This. Does anybody else's dog come back to the line and then back himself into heel pointed at the next bird? Mine has always done that and it seems to work for us.
    Bingo,

If I throw multples, I know my pup has the mark when she looks over her shoulder at the memory mark on the way back in, She then backs her self into position, I take the bird or bummper from her mouth, I then confirm her mark with "that's right girl , that's your bird" and send her name. Big send if the bird is WAY out or little send if the bird is easy.

Have fun with it.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.