The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mark it yourself!

Very interesting thread for me.
    I think you have described Gooser and his current dog to a "T"
    It sounds like identical teams.

I would go to my weekend Pro guided training group, and run those st ups as suggested.As you did, during the week when I is alls bymyselves, I would mimic those set ups, with the blinds between, under the arc, on a dailey basis, not thinking that the was a probability that those other folks switched it up during the week, to maintain balance.

I have started to run singles during the week , alternating blinds every other day. I am not combining the two anymore.

My dog withh het blinds in the marks, bit knly on the 1 day a week, someone can keep an eye on me.

I gurss its back to that "balance " deal

Thank you for the thread
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

As this dog, has a tendency to always give up control, prefers it. I wouldn't be running blinds and marks together. I also wouldn't be running any drills that takes control away from the dog together with marks. Example; the dog is not going to pick up a poison-bird once you tell him leave it, he's also not going to pick up a bull-dog (so why focus on control drills?) Until he's back to being responsible for his marks, I wouldn't handle him to marks, I'd bring him back and resend him (make him do it all by himself). My dog was very much like this, she prefers me to handle (it's her way of misbehaving), once she learned, that I wasn't going to handle her, that I'd let her get all the way out in LALA land, correct her and bring her all the way back (which she hates), to resend. She found completely different ways of misbehaving that don't involve taking wrong lines so I'd handle her to a mark .

TC I agree having the ability of secondary selection is important, however in this case I think; the dog has a bit too much of such things, and it's more important to make the dog do it himself. I have a feeling the OP could line this dog on any mark, pull him off that mark and send him in any direction, and he'd turn and go the way he was pointed, probably even pass up a marked bird just to the side of that line. Balance in all things.

Arnie Good luck at the test this weekend...Don't mess with Gage too much at the line. Let him ride. Give him time to think, he's gonna take your casts so don't worry about letting him hunt. Keep control on his blinds all the way to the end. Big (I mean it whistles, not wimpy ones). Remember your part of the team, can't help your dog if you go Zombie at the line . Don't throw-up-pass out etc. Oh and HAVE FUN, yes these things are supposed to be fun
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-11-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Turned out to be a great test this weekend. We made it though to the third series which was a walk up water triple. The walk up memory bird was short, with the line to it just a couple of yards inside the shore at the end of the pond. The go bird (flyer) was across the pond intended to fall on the shore. For some some lucky dogs the bird landed in the water. For some the bird landed beyond the intended open area up a hillside and into heavy cover. The middle bird was also across the pond 90 degrees from the first beyond the pond and up a long steep hill. At the top of the hill was heavy cover but the bird was supposed to land in the open. Sure enough both of our go and second birds landed in the heavy cover. I did not spend much time lining Gage up, just turned toward the marks. I was pretty sure he had marked them. He pinned them! I then lined him up on my left side for the memory bird. The shore was on our right. The only thing that would take him out was if he ran the shore.......... He was so amped up from the first two retrieves he decided it would be much quicker to push past me and run the bank to the bird. So much for working on his independence.

Believe me, he's been shore broke although we will be revisiting this part of his training.

Still, it was a great weekend. There were a number of people that generously critiqued my line actions and really helped me fix some problems that I wasn't even aware of. For this I am really grateful. You know who you are!
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    OR if your teaching him to fight factors
    Yes, I should have added that as well.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
    So much for working on his independence.
    Hey He went to the bird all by himself and didn't take an incorrect line, past a bird straight to the middle of No-Where, which was the point of this thread. That particular problem has been solved (Now you want something else? <tisk tisk>). Plus that was a pretty cheat-y lil mark, the shore was pretty close to on the way, he already got completely wet for the other 2, and wet for the marks the series before that. The dog was just shortening up a test before it got too dark (time management) . Judges are just too particular LOL
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-15-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Arnie,

You and Gage did a great job, you played all weekend and Gage looke very good. The good thing about tests is that they gives up us take aways to train on.

Be careful, don't get caught up on focusing on the issue that cost you a Master ribbon. Add the issue into your trainig regiment with balane. You don't want to start nagging and erode all the momentum and confidence you've worked so hard to create.
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.