The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Iams, Eukenaba, and Natura brands

Thank you for posting the farmina info. I'm getting a new puppy in a few months and I was leaning toward the champion food line, but now I think I'll go with this.

chris

Thanks .44, I'll think I'll order a few samples and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    While I love Dr. Tim and his products my YLM has some issues with chicken. When Dr. Tim comes out with other protein diets I'd use again in a heartbeat. It's rocket fuel.

Farmina is selling two lines in America, a grain free line with 37 % protein, 18% fat in a Lamb, a Chicken , Herring , and a Wild Boar
    http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/li...in-free-canine

The other line uses ancestral grains and are 30-20 diets. All GMO and gluten free
    http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/li...w-grain-canine

Farmina uses a very slow cooking method which makes it very digestible . Each kibble piece is crunched by your dog as the kibble is large like it was 30 years ago. They use vacuum infusion to add the Vitamins and Fats which draws it into the kibble piece rather then just spraying as American companies do, That is after cooking so the Vitamins are long lasting not being exposed to heat.

But the ingredient sourcing is what is attractive to me as a pet parent. North America has become almost entirely GMO in feeding of farm animals. I suspect that is why so many dogs and cats are sick today. Also all the Pet food companies are tricking everyone with Yeast Culture and Peas because they jump the protein level without meat inclusion.

Like I said, I am only into the food a week, but my boy goes nuts for this food. It does smell like a home cooked meal. Time will tell on how it helps performance and endurance. The company also has a staff of Veterinarians and Phd's as it is not a small company like a Champion who has none. Farmina is a big pet Food producer in Europe. If you want samples go to the USA Farmina Facebook page, or on those links and use the contact. The samples are large compared to what other companies give you.

for Samples ...
    https://www.facebook.com/FarminaUSA

Cool, ordered some samples! Did you go with the grain free or ancestral grains and what flavor?

If you really like to feed premium food, recently Farmina from Italy was just introduced to North America. It is even superior to Champion products. I've never used a food this good until last week. Will not know how that translates to hunting accomplishments in the future, but it smells like a human cooked meal.

Non of the ingredients are even close to being GMO or the animals used in the products. 95 % of the protein in the food is from animal. The cost at least what I can buy is less expensive then Champion products and the ingredients are superior.
    .44 mag,

Thanks for the link to Farmina. An interesting option to consider. Too bad they don't have retailers in the Midwest.

I question your claim that their food is superior to Orijen. Farmina GF foods start with 70% animal protein and 30% fruits and veggies. Orijen begins with 80% animal protein and 20% fruits and veggies. Orijen includes organ meats, Farmina does not. Orijen's protein sources are always fresh, Farmina uses dehydrated meats.

It looks like a more affordable option for those of us who prefer to feed a GF food with the best protein and fat sources, but I'm not convinced that it is superior to Orijen.

In browsing their site I found this product. http://www.farmina.com/?q=en/content...t/ecopet-adult

What the heck is this stuff? Corn the first ingredient? Wheat!?!?! Added Salt? Evidently they aren't too devoted to producing ONLY top quality dog foods!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    .44 mag,

Thanks for the link to Farmina. An interesting option to consider. Too bad they don't have retailers in the Midwest.

I question your claim that their food is superior to Orijen. Farmina GF foods start with 70% animal protein and 30% fruits and veggies. Orijen begins with 80% animal protein and 20% fruits and veggies. Orijen includes organ meats, Farmina does not. Orijen's protein sources are always fresh, Farmina uses dehydrated meats.

It looks like a more affordable option for those of us who prefer to feed a GF food with the best protein and fat sources, but I'm not convinced that it is superior to Orijen.

In browsing their site I found this product. http://www.farmina.com/?q=en/content...t/ecopet-adult

What the heck is this stuff? Corn the first ingredient? Wheat!?!?! Added Salt? Evidently they aren't too devoted to producing ONLY top quality dog foods!

Swack
    I am not saying Farmina is perfect or will even work. It's just a new player in North America in direct competition with Champion Pet. JMO Orijen is way over priced for what it is really worth. They are making huge profit on each bag of food.

The technology that Farmina uses is far superior to Champions. Its going to be more digestible and retain Vitamins then a Champion product. Vacuum infusion works better then spray coating.

As far as 70 % or 80 % being better as far as total animal inclusion that can be misleading. Because Champion mixes in Peas, Chick peas, lentils, their total amount of protein from meat may actually be less. pet food companies use those to up the total protein content. The similar Farmina diets have 95 % of the protein coming from animal. They do not ad peas or chick peas or lentils.

Now I've fed both diets, Champion products smell God aweful. Farmina products smell like a slow cooked human meal. Cats actually steal the dogs food when you put it down for feeding.

Again, I don't work for Farmina, Dr. Tim, or any other maker of food. I just like to try to feed the best possible diet. I've got the income to do that. Not everyone is going to be able to feed top notch diets and that is why Victor is an excellent choice as it's quality food at great prices. So is Dr. Tim's. Victor and Dr. Tim's are so superior to any Iams or Purina food. Just my opinion and realize many happy pro Plan and Euk users find their products suitable. It's just the cost of Pro Plan and Euk reflects advertising costs and not the quality of ingredients.

Farmina will be in more stores as time goes by. They decided to market it Nationwide and the only area not covered is the North East I believe. It will take time to build an entire network of distributors, but anyone can try it by using Chewy.com as they ship to the continental USA . free shipping over 49.00 dollars.

What I'd really love to see is MARS selling off Natura to a private investor who would run it as it was when it was family owned. P&G ruined their good name.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 04-13-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

I am not saying Farmina is perfect or will even work. It's just a new player in North America in direct competition with Champion Pet. JMO Orijen is way over priced for what it is really worth. They are making huge profit on each bag of food.

The technology that Farmina uses is far superior to Champions. Its going to be more digestible and retain Vitamins then a Champion product. Vacuum infusion works better then spray coating.

As far as 70 % or 80 % being better as far as total animal inclusion that can be misleading. Because Champion mixes in Peas, Chick peas, lentils, their total amount of protein from meat may actually be less. pet food companies use those to up the total protein content. The similar Farmina diets have 95 % of the protein coming from animal. They do not ad peas or chick peas or lentils.

Now I've fed both diets, Champion products smell God aweful. Farmina products smell like a slow cooked human meal. Cats actually steal the dogs food when you put it down for feeding.

Again, I don't work for Farmina, Dr. Tim, or any other maker of food. I just like to try to feed the best possible diet. I've got the income to do that. Not everyone is going to be able to feed top notch diets and that is why Victor is an excellent choice as it's quality food at great prices. So is Dr. Tim's. Victor and Dr. Tim's are so superior to any Iams or Purina food. Just my opinion and realize many happy pro Plan and Euk users find their products suitable. It's just the cost of Pro Plan and Euk reflects advertising costs and not the quality of ingredients.

Farmina will be in more stores as time goes by. They decided to market it Nationwide and the only area not covered is the North East I believe. It will take time to build an entire network of distributors, but anyone can try it by using Chewy.com as they ship to the continental USA . free shipping over 49.00 dollars.

What I'd really love to see is MARS selling off Natura to a private investor who would run it as it was when it was family owned. P&G ruined their good name.
    Did you go with the grain free or ancestral grain?

I understand and as I said, thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for it.

I too would rather Orijen didn't use lentils and peas, though not because I think they're trying to raise the percent protein, but because of the phytates in legumes. Personally, I'd rather have potatoes as the binder, but that's a minor offense.

I don't think Orijen smells bad and if I did, does it matter what I think? Ask the dogs! Have you ever smelled fresh tripe? It would gag a buzzard on a gut wagon, but Dogs LOVE IT!!! Orijen 6 fish smells like fish. Maybe that's because it's made with 6 species of FISH.

I've fed my last two puppies Orijen Large Breed Puppy food and then had their hip evaluated using the PENN Hip method. The first scored in the 90th percentile. The second scored in the >90th percentile. Regardless how you think it smells, the results I'm getting are good IMHO.

Yes, Orijen is expensive, but since you've got the income to feed the best, the price shouldn't matter to you.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
    Did you go with the grain free or ancestral grain?
    Grain free Boar, and GF Herring. Those were the samples I got, and my boy loved them. If not for the North American food chain being so screwed up with GMO's I'd never had tried this stuff. Or if Dr. Tim had a red meat diet. The Chicken in North America is raised under suspicious conditions. See movie Food, Inc. I don't believe the chicken in EU countries are raised as such.

We try to keep our dogs with us for as long as we can, so we all try to do as best we can. Foods about all I know I can help with. Their lives are so short I want to feed the safest food .

What always concerned me about Champion Pet in Canada was it is made at a tiny plant and they have no Vets on staff or a Phd. Farmina made a point to hire Vets and professionals to try and make a great food. What is impressive is their manufacturing process and that it is family owned and they also own their own plants.

Also Champion Pet sold out to a Holding company a few years back. They all do eventually in the Pet Food business.
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

I have three dogs on Farmina N&D Chicken Grain Free. A Bracco, Small Munsterlander and a Lab. My local store has it for special order. I have used most of the higher protein foods and this one is completely superior. Small dark poops, no gas and the kibble size is perfect for larger dogs. I was using a Champion product and really wasn't happy because of the crapping during exercise, I suspect due to the high fiber and all the beans in the food now.

My buddy is a member of this forum and he told me there was a small discussion of the food. He took some of mine and his dogs are refusing to eat Pro Plan when he mixes it.

I would love to order some samples to try. I think I must be a bit dense, because on the Facebook page link, I could read about the samples but could find nowhere to actually order some samples. Any hints from those of you that ordered, where on the Facebook page I can order some? Thanks