The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving marking/memory skills

Default Improving marking/memory skills

Not for my dog, for me! How do you guys remember exactly where the bird fell to be able to handle on marks? The best I can do is remembering a general area, but not a specific spot. I should have been washed out long ago...

I use something in the background to line it up such as a tree or bush etc.
    Sylvia McClure
    Retrieve a Cure
    Home of:
    Belvedere's Jolly Jackson MH
    FC-AFC Hilltop's High Society
    QAA High Society's Bewitched
    QAA Trumarc's Mavis
    High Society's Hatari Rumble
    High Society's Courtesan

www.reelretrievers.com

If you try, you'll get better over time. First step is locating the gun, if the gun is retired, make note of the holding blind where the gun is hiding, then remember where the gun stood when they threw, finally remember the direction and distance they threw. You also need to etch some points in your brain where you don't want the dog to go. If you want your dog front side, pick a rock or bush as a dicision point on where you would stop and handle. Like I said, it gets easier with practice.

Quote Originally Posted by jollydog View Post
    I use something in the background to line it up such as a tree or bush etc.
    Ditto for me. Watch the test dog and a few others to set this landmark

Only bird I watch go down from the line- is the flyer. Watching my dog to see if he saw the bird or flashed off- or never turned.

It's different when you're training by yourself, but if you're at a hunt test/field trial, watch a few of the dogs run and see where the birds are landing. If there is nothing definite that you can use as a reference point (rock, bush, tree, cow pie, etc) then choose something on the skyline/horizon such as a tree, mountain peak, telephone pole, barn, house. The object might be 1 mile away from the fall, but as long as it's in line with the area of the fall, you can use it as a reference point. Here's an example picture...

landscape.jpg
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

How many setups have you guys run where the gunner is completely invisible? Seems to me that 90% of the time I can see where the gunner is retired. Like I said, pick out the gun then the bird is easy. A blind is another story.

It's all about the landmarks!

Quote Originally Posted by ks_hunting View Post
    It's all about the landmarks!
    AND the water marks!!

I know it gets easier with experience but when I come to the line and the nerves kick in my brain goes blank. Right now, for training I seek out large open fields with at least 8" tall cover and hide the wingers so that both my dog and I have to concentrate on the spot of the fall. Mostly singles and some doubles out to between 80 and 130 yards. The doubles will be set at separate distances.
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." ~Rex Carr

I too have a marking weakness. I've started playing a visual memory game (free phone app) to help with visual/spatial memory. Don't know if its working. But I try to pick out some different colored bush or grass that the birds are landing near when I watch other dogs run. I watch several dogs before running my own training if possible and watch as many dogs as possible at tests. I don't have much suggestion for training alone as there's no others to watch. I'm hoping improving my memory in general will help.