The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British field background ever make Derby List

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    They have some pretty good field blood over the pond.
    There is some pretty good field blood all over the world. Not all are entered in field trials. The Goldens over here are easily recognisable whether in competition or not!!..You have one of the best blood lines !..therefore success is almost guaranteed
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    There is some pretty good field blood all over the world. Not all are entered in field trials. The Goldens over here are easily recognisable whether in competition or not!!..You have one of the best blood lines !..therefore success is almost guaranteed
    Let's hope so!

Breck, Holway Barty's parents were both Eng FT Ch and he had two siblings who were titled the same. Interestingly his Dam was 11 yrs old when she gave birth and it was an accidental pregnancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Interestingly his Dam was 11 yrs old when she gave birth and it was an accidental pregnancy.

Thats crazy! Thanks for the amazing info!

Marissa Everett

Instead of focusing on what’s missing, learn to appreciate what’s already there.

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Don't overlook the UK's own derby (pronounced dar-by) list: United-Man City, Liverpool-Everton, West Brom-Villa, Spurs-The Arse, etc.

And of course the Epsom Derby, where listed among this year's runners is a horse named Toast of New York.

As for retrievers, you'll find Holway Barty's progeny on derby lists from the not terribly distant past - Goldens. Don't think any Labs will fit your parameters (four generations) but may be wrong.

MG
    Holway Barty was the first dog that came to my mind as well.

I had no idea a British golden had been so influential. Guess labs are a diff story.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    For puppies from proven British sires and dams with Maybe the potential to compete here at US trials you need to have baby puppy bred from 2 field champions flown directly to you from UK or Ireland. British pedigree puppies bred in the US are for the most part bred from unproven (in competition) dogs. Usually brood bitches with zero accomplishments or titles bred to imported field trial winners at best.
    Breck,

For the most part, I think you're right, but there are occasionally British FTCH dogs imported into the US. I bred a bitch to a British FTCH 10 years ago. His name was Westlands Charlie, aka "Moss". His sire won the 1990 IGL Championship. Moss was reputed to have been the high pt. British FT dog in 1999 and was awarded a Certificate of Merit in the 1999 IGL Championship. So, once in a while there are FT titled British Labs brought over to the US.

Unfortunately, there are few British Lab breeders in the US who go to the trouble to title their dogs. Kirk Keene of Imperial Retrievers in southern IL has a litter of British Lab pups advertised on RTF's classifieds where not only do both sire and dam have UKC HRC HT titles, they also have their health clearances! About time somebody did it right with British Labs!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Garduck View Post
    I had no idea a British golden had been so influential. Guess labs are a diff story.
    "Labs are a different story" because most everybody running American field trials enters them with the same old story - American-bred (and trained) Labs.

As for British Lab breeders "doing it right," breeding for American field trials ain't the objective and often that "different story" is paradoxically the sales pitch pettifoggery used against American Labs.

Breck, who are the QAA British Labs you refer to? Mine went seven of eight series in a Q and amateur the weekend she turned 16 months old, but I ran her only in a couple of derbies and Q's. They weren't my objective.

Of course she's also been trained from the start for the American way of competition

John, I'd be very interested to know about the other minor retriever breeds (from the British Isles) flatties, curlies and IWS - and the derby list regardless the timeline (the AA dogs among them as well).

MG

"Ever"?

Yes, of course. The North American field trial sport started with imported British Labs.

The first example I found with a little poking around is Nelgard's
    Counter Point, listed with Retriever News as National Derby Champion for
    1953. Her pedigree contains dogs with British-sounding names, and the helpfully listed "Eng. FTW Pettistree Dan" in the fourth generation. NFC Banchory Night Light of Wingan, in the third generation, is listed as an English import.

Amy Dahl

You folks should look to Canadian dogs who in turn were bred , brought to the US because the Canadians appear to have had closer ties to the Brits.

4 generations? There has to have been a bunch.