The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got quite the scare. Anyone else been through this?

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

Unhappy I got quite the scare. Anyone else been through this?

So last night, my old girl (13 y/o YLF) went outside after supper and collapsed trying to come up a single step. She popped right back up and was able to make it inside with little issue. Once inside, she couldn't seem to keep her legs under her. By the time we got to the vet, she was doing better, but still shaking like crazy. Vet said the symptoms sounded a lot like Geriatric Ideopathic Vestibular Disease. She told me to watch for the eye twitching (googly eyes). Later that night, Saint began having more issues keeping her balance and even fell from a stationary standing position hard this morning. She is, otherwise, extremely healthy (other than hearing loss) and happy. Vet says this condition typically resolves itself in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone else have experience going through this with a dog?

What is the best way to take care of her in the interim? I don't want her hurting herself.
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Yes, we had an old girl that had that. We kept her crated, except for brief walks outside to potty,for a few days and then she was back to normal. We were told it maybe reoccur, but we were lucky and it didn't. She lived a couple of more years after that.
    Last edited by Lady Duck Hunter; 04-11-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Yes it is very scary. Ask you vet about giving her motion sickness med like Dramamine. My 12 year old Golden had a pretty severe Vestibular episode. I had to hand feed him for a few days as he couldn't find his bowl to eat or drink, his depth perception was way off. Eye twitch and a head tilt. Google Vestibular disease, you will find some good stuff that will put you at ease. My guy lived to 15 1/2.

Yes, had it in my 13-year old girl. I used a harness to help stablize her when we went outside, kept her quiet and away from the other dogs so they wouldn't send her flying. Doc gave me anti-nausea meds, but I only used them for a couple of days and then her appetite came back.

She kept a wabbly gait for the rest of her days, but otherwise recovered. She was 15.5 when old age took its toll.

Meredith

My then 12 yr old lab had it happen a couple of times. Scared the bejesus out of us the first time. She is now an active 14yr old. I understand early larengeal paralysis can cause this as well

Sounds very scary. Glad to hear it's manageable.

Went thru it last year with my now 15 year old. Scary stuff. Brittany had the eye twitch, dizziness, stability issues, and problems eating.

Keep them in a well lit area. Crate is best. I had to hand feed her as her depth perception was off also. She did lose bladder control the first night. Biggest thing is if you absolutely have to pick them up like to carry them outside have someone keep pressure on their feet. That makes them think they are still on the ground. Picking them up throws off their balance and they will thrash. Britt would walk in circles for the first few days. After that it was a head tilt and wider circles. About two weeks and she was basically back to herself. Was told more than likely it will reoccur but knock on wood so far so good.

It is not the end of the world but is very scary to watch and for them. Just keep them steady on their feet and help them walk everywhere until the recover.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Thank goodness there was a guy in our training group who had gone through it some years prior with his old Golden. He was able to talk me off the ledge as I was sure my old timer was having a seizure and wasn't long for the world.

Also, it does mimic stroke symptoms.
    Steph

Brittany - Border Collie/Springer Spaniel CGC
    Meka- Basset/Aussie
    Zoe's Taller N Me - Zoe Irish Wolfhound 9/04/2004 - 11/20/2013 I love you Big Girl!
    Ember Raise The Bar CGC - Corona (a fluffy)
    CH. Justa Gingersnap CGC - Ginger Shiba Inu

A good friend helps you up when you fall. A best friend pees their pants laughing and trips you again!

Indeed scary...This may sound cheesy, but I'm just happy that she is still with you.