The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got quite the scare. Anyone else been through this?

Yes, I've had the trip to the vet thinking my Nova had had a stroke, but it was idiopathic vestibular syndrome. If you search the term you may come up with the thread I started asking the same questions you are asking.

Nova largely recovered within a few days to a week. She has had a couple of very minor relapses where she is unsteady and a bit disoriented. However, her quality of life is generally good for a 14.25 year old girl. Good Luck!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by 1st retriever View Post
    Also, it does mimic stroke symptoms.
    An old dog of mine had these symptoms, but unfortunately it turned out to BE a stroke...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    An old dog of mine had these symptoms, but unfortunately it turned out to BE a stroke...
    I had a Boxer dog go through this. Vet said either a) idiopathic vestibular syndrome and clear itself up or b) if it didn't clear up we would likely be looking at a brain tumor.

Well, it never did clear itself up and we opted to just let nature's course ride out since he seemed very content... the dog lived 3 more years and was totally fine other than he always had his head tilted a bit and he had to eat from an elevated plastic bowl. (metal bowls really goofed him up.) In the end it was Canine Lymphoma that got him.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Senior Member Twin Willows Labs's Avatar

She seems better today. She still has the head tilt and is a little wobbly, but no more falling over. I will try the foot pressure trick as I take her up and down stairs.

The vet asked me about her behavior in the days leading up to the incident. I explained that she was her normal spastic self, out chasing bumpers and running around. I got the most ridiculous look after I said "bumpers".
    "If you're too busy to duck hunt, you're too busy" - Jase Robertson
    "You're going hunting again? In this weather?" - My fiance

Twin Willows Lil Miss Zoey JH
    Soon to be the next big thing.
    Andrew's Baby Saint
    The queen bee. Old and deaf. My version of the once-in-a-lifetime dog. I regret not sharing her with the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Marissa E. View Post
    I had a Boxer dog go through this. Vet said either a) idiopathic vestibular syndrome and clear itself up or b) if it didn't clear up we would likely be looking at a brain tumor.

Well, it never did clear itself up and we opted to just let nature's course ride out since he seemed very content... the dog lived 3 more years and was totally fine other than he always had his head tilted a bit and he had to eat from an elevated plastic bowl. (metal bowls really goofed him up.) In the end it was Canine Lymphoma that got him.
    Marissa,

It's my understanding that dogs with idiopatic vestibular syndrome usually recover most of their normal function, but a head tilt or some degree of balance issues and instability can persist. My girl has had a few minor recurrences, but not to the extent of her initial episode.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Marissa,

It's my understanding that dogs with idiopatic vestibular syndrome usually recover most of their normal function, but a head tilt or some degree of balance issues and instability can persist. My girl has had a few minor recurrences, but not to the extent of her initial episode.

Swack
    That makes sense. Thank you.
    For some reason my vet thought it would go away, or not be as bad as he was. Guess the vet was wrong.
    Like I said, aside from the head tilt the dog was very happy.

Marissa Everett

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.