The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pile Work question

Default Pile Work question

I need help addressing an issue. Im working on pile work. Overs and backs went smoothly on 3H. Now I started to work on pile work and I'm getting no go when send from the side. Any thoughts????
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Did you FTP from your side or from front finish? If you didn't send from your side go back and force from there.

smart ass first thought.... stop sending from your side
    helpfull first thought.... move up, I.D. pile with a toss and move back = happy dog running to pile.
    old school.... take a bold step forward, high E-colar nick, yell "here", "Sit", & "Back" = dog runs away from you going at a pile.
    pesky deep thinking...... is it better to have a dog run to a pile, or run away from you, when doing pile work???
    peskyER deep thinking...... why am I doing pile work???
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

^^^^ ditto. Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Pesky(est) deep thinking: if the dog is enthusiastically retrieving to a pile, why force to a pile?
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

You need to slowly transition from simple casting to FTP. Start with pile at about same distance as on simple casting backs. Send to pile just like you did on back cast in simple casting.
    Slowly increase distance out to about 30 yards. After going confidently slip in a side send. Essentially same thing Ken said.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    ^^^^ ditto. Winner winner chicken dinner!
    Pesky(est) deep thinking: if the dog is enthusiastically retrieving to a pile, why force to a pile?
    Because the dog isn't enthusiastically going to the pile. He is going at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRodgz View Post
    I need help addressing an issue. Im working on pile work. Overs and backs went smoothly on 3H. Now I started to work on pile work and I'm getting no go when send from the side. Any thoughts????
    Could the pup be bored?

Set up the pile as an extension of walking fetch. Work towards the pile in walking fetch fashion and then back away from the pile incrementally until you are 40 yards out.
    Bert Rodgers

Thanks for the inputs. When at it again today. He's more responsive to the word fetch than the the word back. Also I'm noticing a little flaring on the left back cast as I walk back to increase distance.
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRodgz View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. When at it again today. He's more responsive to the word fetch than the the word back. Also I'm noticing a little flaring on the left back cast as I walk back to increase distance.

Simply say "back" then pause 1/2 sec and say "fetch" ... He will get what back means after 50 or so reps
    Darrin Greene