The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Drills or Corrections for stopping returning to old falls

Default Looking for Drills or Corrections for stopping returning to old falls

What drills or types of corrections and timing do you use to correct a dog from returning to old falls? Or how do you teach a dog to not return to an old fall?

whistle sit, NO, and cast as soon as they indicate that they are going to leave the fall area- or are headed for somewhere else, especially an old fall. IF I'm stretching out a puppy- I will throw a second bird with an accompanying hey hey-while they are enroute to keep them focused on the fall and hot to get there. this also helps keep hunts nice and tight.

dont run marks that are tight enough to encourage returning to an old fall for a while also- until you feel he is solid. then tighten things up gradually. (if running doubles)

for singles just keep moving things around- again, trying to keep from "suggesting" an old fall to bean option...

I edited this to add be careful of pressure as misuse or overuse can / will lead to popping.

Building confidence is critical to solving and preventing this problem.
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 04-14-2014 at 02:30 PM.

There are far more experienced trainers than I to help with the issue. Why do dogs return to old falls? Because they expect to be rewarded again. How do they develop this expectation? It is my belief that they learn to do this by repeating marks. When a trainer repeats the mark to "drive home the concept" the dog certainly learns a concept. IMHO the concept they learn is that they can return to the same area & be rewarded with a retrieve.

Many far more successful trainers than I repeat marks & achieve great results. Their methods work for them. When someone presents with this problem, my first suggestion is to stop repeating marks.

I would then use dirt clod drills to teach perseverance in the area of the fall.
    Mark Land

Fishduck you said "I would then use dirt clod drills to teach perseverance in the area of the fall. "
    I was born under a rock. What do you mean?
    Don

Is the dog marking the new fall, giving up on it and returning to old fall or is he confused and going to old fall from the outset?

If it's confusion then I would be inclined to simplify... run more singles off multiple guns, don't make the marks too tight, or have the gunner help and maybe handle without pressure. If the dog is giving up on the new mark, the possibilities are a recall (if initial line is to old fall) handle and maybe give a correction and handle if attrition doesn't get the job done. If giving up, I would also run the dirt clod drill.

This is a newbie's take so hopefully some more experienced folks will chime in.

WHEN is the dog returning to an old fall? After a prolonged hunt? In route to the next bird? Two different problems.

Tim
    You order a Lab; ask a Golden; but negotiate with a Chesapeake!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Carrion View Post
    WHEN is the dog returning to an old fall? After a prolonged hunt? In route to the next bird? Two different problems.

Tim
    Returning after a prolonged hunt. I believe the problem is perseverance. I am going to run the dirt clod drill, and give corrections as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Fishduck you said "I would then use dirt clod drills to teach perseverance in the area of the fall. "
    I was born under a rock. What do you mean?
    Don
    Admitting you don't know something is the path to enlightenment! My dog training & life in general improved when I stumbled on that simple fact.

A dirt clod drill is simple. Have your bird boy throw a dirt clod. Send dog. No matter how well dog marked the clod, it is impossible to find a duck. As dog checks elsewhere, have the bird boy slip the duck into the area without the dog seeing. Then when dog checks back or is handled back into the area, dog finds a duck. It really helps a dog to learn how to stay in the area & dig out a bird.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Toti View Post
    Returning after a prolonged hunt. I believe the problem is perseverance. I am going to run the dirt clod drill, and give corrections as needed.
    More info would be helpful.
    Such as just how successful and confident pup has been in previous training on marks in various different cover etc., before the returning to old fall stuff began..And how old.

Perseverance is one thing and pup trusting it's eyes is another.
    Last edited by Swampbilly; 04-14-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

And how old of a pup are we talking about here? With how much hunting experience?