The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picking up a Dog, to teach her a lesson

This......

"If a trial or test problem does develop, your best bet is to quit running competitions altogether for quite some period. You'll want to completely eliminate the problem and have new ingrained habits before you run your dog at a trial of hunt test." The Retriever Journal.....Mike Lardy"

The bold section is the most difficult part to come to grips with. It is almost never a two week fix. Several months might be enough (with the emphasis on might).

Defining the "quite some period" is difficult because duplicating the issue, de-programming and creating new expectations in training often requires unrelenting patience.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

That's probably going ot have to be the case, sadly. Do you have a link to the entire article that quote came from?
    "Somehow this creature has completed my manhood; somehow, I cannot explain why, a man ought to have a dog. A man ought to have six legs; those other four legs are part of him." -G.K. Chesterton

http://www.facebook.com/pennyretrievers

Instead of picking up the dog in a test, would it help to take the dog to a test that you volunteer to work? After the dog has sat in the kennel for a little bit (similar to if you were entered), you then get them out to air on leash as if you were running, and the instant they start acting up they go back to the kennel with a verbal 'NO' and get no birds while you go back into the field to help at a gunner station? You get them out a few times throughout the day and the instant they act up, back to the kennel.

Don't let her "perfection" in training stop you from constantly reinforcing your commands. If you train all week with no reinforcement then all you're doing is playing. Your set ups or your standards may not be challenging enough or... you may simply need to reinforce more commands even if she's doing them.

The more reinforcement she gets in training, the more likely she is to obey you in a test.

Just be careful to keep her in balance and not knock all the drive out of her in the process.
    Darrin Greene

"Do you have a link to the entire article that quote came from?"

"Competition Problems" page 51, The Retriever Journal (Jan/Feb 1999)

Another quote (same article) is along the lines of what has been mentioned.

"It is my experience that most problems stem from a lack of high and consistent standards." The Retriever Journal.....Mike Lardy
    Last edited by KwickLabs; 04-14-2014 at 05:13 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

One of our dogs had a level of 'drive' that she just could not always control. One of the trainers watching us run her suggested that we give her a good 'work out' in the morning before coming to the hunt test. From that point on we ran her on 4-6 singles of 100yds or so prior to any test. I was amaze how much calmer she was, and she then started passing the tests....

Just a thought....Good luck

I agree that picking her up during bad behavior will not send a message generally, other than not getting away with switching/blowing sits/casts,etc.
    But what about a creeping dog at a hunt test.... Not letting that dog creep and just picking them up, ? Any benefit to that for future ?
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I agree that picking her up during bad behavior will not send a message generally, other than not getting away with switching/blowing sits/casts,etc.
    But what about a creeping dog at a hunt test.... Not letting that dog creep and just picking them up, ? Any benefit to that for future ?
    I think sit is a straight forward enough behavior that denying the retrieve may help, but... a single repetition of anything isn't worth much in terms of training.
    Darrin Greene

Not sure taking her out solves anything other than you were dissatisfied with her performance. Not sure she understands and bets she would continue the behavior until corrected when teaching. I wouldn't run another test until she is going to listen. IMO Good luck
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    One of our dogs had a level of 'drive' that she just could not always control. One of the trainers watching us run her suggested that we give her a good 'work out' in the morning before coming to the hunt test. From that point on we ran her on 4-6 singles of 100yds or so prior to any test. I was amaze how much calmer she was, and she then started passing the tests....

Just a thought....Good luck
    Ditto for my dog, we run 4-6 miles prior to any test that she runs in. It has helped tremendously!!