The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with land a water retrieves

Quote Originally Posted by jessicakay View Post
    Yes I'm only 18 and this is my first dog but I'm willing to spend money just on a budget
    Nuthin' in the world wrong with being financially challenged. Regardless of that-
    Don't let finances determine your goals, and whatever you do don't fall into a rut of trying to train with sole use of a forum as your only resource.

In your situation it's easy to" cave in" to when and where your dog "wants" to retrieve. Don't do it.
    You'll be better off in the long run if for now,.. to strike a good balance between retrieving on land and where your pup "wants" to retrieve. ..in water.
    Get things straight on land first, then move to water. No need for tons of meaningless marks either.

Cut some grass this spring, maybe you can make a little pluck and get yourself some good proven, comprehensive training material.
    Good luck to you!
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Ok.
    There are several good programs. Maybe for you the best would be:
    Smartworks by Evan Graham. Look in the classifieds. The Smartworks
    basic DVD set just sold for $100.
    Or
    Fowl Dogs by Rick Stowaski (sp?)
    Gundogsupply.com has them both I believe.
    I would strongly disagree with Wayne on this advice.

He seems to be implying that you should overlook Lardy and Farmer's programs due to possible budget constraints of the original poster. That is ludicrous for two reasons; First you will spend enormous amount of time, energy, money and other resources over the life of your dog. For you and your dog's sake you should not worry about the comparitively small amount of money spent on training guides. Go with the best you can find!!! Second as luck would have it & as strange as it would seem the cost of Lardy's and Farmers products is actually much cheaper than Graham's stuff

Many would say the best trainer ever is Mike Lardy. The other name most mentioned would be Danny Farmer. Between the two of them they hold virtually every Retriever performance record there is. Both of them still compete and stay abreast of the significant advancements made in dog training over the past quarter of a century. Their dogs still compete and win at the highest levels. They have both won 100's of Field Trials, put Field Trial titles on scores of dogs and won multiple National Championships. For comparison, Mr Graham in his entire career, has never titled a single dog or won a single AA Field Trial. Additionally he no longer trains or competes with dogs to stay abreast of training advancements; and hasn't for longer than the original poster has been alive.

I own and have reviewed virtually every training video and book produced. IMO the quality of the programs produced by these three mirrors their relative field accomplishments. Lardy's and Farmers products are both quite good. I believe the accomplishments achieved by people who use their programs also bears out their programs relative merits.

It is my belief that the best thing you can do to help train your dog is to get with an experienced accomplished trainer and use them as a mentor.

Whereas Wayne points out that a USED copy of Grahams Basics pack recently sold for $100 in the RTF classifieds, I would point out that both Lardy's & Farmers Basics programs can be purchased Brand NEW for a fraction of that $100 cost.

IMHO the BEST training material ever made is Lardy's Vol 1 of his RJ articles. It is worth it's weight in gold to a newcomer. It is written in a clear, concise easy to understand style. It tells you things to anticipate and look out for to pre emptively avoid problems & issues from occurring. The program builds logically on itself in a sequential progression. It self proofs itself with checks to make sure you are ready to advance to the next step.

You can click on the link at the top of the page here to order it. Not only does it cover Basics, but it also covers Transition and introduces you to Advanced training also. Best money you will ever spend on your dog IMO.

I believe it only costs $25 or so. I'm certain you will find it to be a wise investment and invaluable resource. Jessicakay, If that $25 doesn't fit into your budget then send me a PM here or call me @ 660 886 6538 with your contact info and I will be happy to see to it that you get a copy of it at no cost to yourself

Good Luck and Good Training

Enjoy the Journey!!

I am in the giving mood on Tax Day...I will donate $25 dollars to the purchase of a training video series of Jessica's choice

FTR : I vote for TRT...but will let the young lady decide
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Goodness! I thought everyone knew that I am a TRT guy. But I feel IMHO that Graham's dogmatic approach would be best for Jessicakay. Many first time trainers find Graham's stuff easier to follow. I don't have any of his DVD except walking baseball but have been to one of his seminars. And know people who are accomplished and followed Graham to get there.

Here practically on the eve of Good Friday I find little hate in my heart.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-16-2014 at 06:21 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by jessicakay View Post
    She had went missing for 3 months and she came back about a month ago so far she knows sit here and working on heel a little more so far just working should I start using birds on land to make it more interesting for her or just keep using bumpers
    Jessica yes you need to follow a program and money is not a factor. The DVD's are not that expensive. But even more important you need to find a group or mentor to train with and understand what to do with your dog!IMO Good luck!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I have a copy of Hillmann's puppy DVD that you can have. It has excellent instruction on developing/maintaining retrieving desire in a young dog, plus some OB as well. Plenty to learn and do with this DVD as you are deciding on other more complete programs. If you like Mr. Hillmann's training style and philosophy, he has other DVDs for more advanced training.

Just send me a PM where to mail. You will need a minimum of posts to PM. I think it is 10. Just go over to the test forum area, and posts some tests messages until you can PM
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

He seems to be implying that you should overlook Lardy and Farmer's programs due to possible budget constraints of the original poster. That is ludicrous for two reasons; First you will spend enormous amount of time, energy, money and other resources over the life of your dog. For you and your dog's sake you should not worry about the comparitively small amount of money spent on training guides. Go with the best you can find!!! Second as luck would have it & as strange as it would seem the cost of Lardy's and Farmers products is actually much cheaper than Graham's stuff

Many would say the best trainer ever is Mike Lardy. The other name most mentioned would be Danny Farmer. Between the two of them they hold virtually every Retriever performance record there is. Both of them still compete and stay abreast of the significant advancements made in dog training over the past quarter of a century. Their dogs still compete and win at the highest levels. They have both won 100's of Field Trials, put Field Trial titles on scores of dogs and won multiple National Championships. For comparison, Mr Graham in his entire career, has never titled a single dog or won a single AA Field Trial. Additionally he no longer trains or competes with dogs to stay abreast of training advancements; and hasn't for longer than the original poster has been alive.

I own and have reviewed virtually every training video and book produced. IMO the quality of the programs produced by these three mirrors their relative field accomplishments. Lardy's and Farmers products are both quite good. I believe the accomplishments achieved by people who use their programs also bears out their programs relative merits.

It is my belief that the best thing you can do to help train your dog is to get with an experienced accomplished trainer and use them as a mentor.

Whereas Wayne points out that a USED copy of Grahams Basics pack recently sold for $100 in the RTF classifieds, I would point out that both Lardy's & Farmers Basics programs can be purchased Brand NEW for a fraction of that $100 cost.

IMHO the BEST training material ever made is Lardy's Vol 1 of his RJ articles. It is worth it's weight in gold to a newcomer. It is written in a clear, concise easy to understand style. It tells you things to anticipate and look out for to pre emptively avoid problems & issues from occurring. The program builds logically on itself in a sequential progression. It self proofs itself with checks to make sure you are ready to advance to the next step.

You can click on the link at the top of the page here to order it. Not only does it cover Basics, but it also covers Transition and introduces you to Advanced training also. Best money you will ever spend on your dog IMO.

I believe it only costs $25 or so. I'm certain you will find it to be a wise investment and invaluable resource. Jessicakay, If that $25 doesn't fit into your budget then send me a PM here or call me @ 660 886 6538 with your contact info and I will be happy to see to it that you get a copy of it at no cost to yourself

Enjoy the Journey!!
    Lies and false doctrine to pass own personal agenda. By their own sites. Their "Cadillac" packages. Lardy total for all books and DVDs with special pricing $419.80.
    Graham for all books and DVDs with a 1 hour personal consultation $352.66.

Mark, a very generous offer. You should be commended for your doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

Enjoy the Journey!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I am in the giving mood on Tax Day...I will donate $25 dollars to the purchase of a training video series of Jessica's choice

FTR : I vote for TRT...but will let the young lady decide
    Quote Originally Posted by GRun View Post
    I have a copy of Hillmann's puppy DVD that you can have. It has excellent instruction on developing/maintaining retrieving desire in a young dog, plus some OB as well. Plenty to learn and do with this DVD as you are deciding on other more complete programs. If you like Mr. Hillmann's training style and philosophy, he has other DVDs for more advanced training.

Just send me a PM where to mail. You will need a minimum of posts to PM. I think it is 10. Just go over to the test forum area, and posts some tests messages until you can PM
    You guys are good people!!!! My hats off to you!

"Here practically on the eve of Good Friday I find little hate in my heart."

Thank you Wayne....you're one of the many RFT "good guys".
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)