The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Category of Owner Handler Amateur for FT Being Discussed

Default New Category of Owner Handler Amateur for FT Being Discussed

I am told that at the 2014 National Amateur, the Retriever Advisory Committee will submit for discussion a new category of Amateur - one that I will call the "single family" amateur for lack of a more elegant term.

If the community supports the proposal, a club could elect to have one of the following Amateur stakes:

1. Traditional Amateur
    2. Owner/Handler Amateur
    3. Single Family Owner/Handler Amateur

If a club elected to hold a Single Family O/H Amateur, a dog that was co-owned by two individuals who were not part of the same household would not be eligible to run.

The RAC will be soliciting comments from the community. So if you have an opinion one way or another, you should have your club representative contact the RAC.

Ted
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

If they call it single family O/H, they may as well call it what they really mean... Single owner. IMO, they are trying to shut down the am handlers running pro dogs... But they will also put a crimp in legitimize co-owner situations as well.

Everyone worries about who is running what. The way I look at it, if your dog is running at the top of his/her game, who cares what other dogs are entered?
    Bill Davis

So I guess that means that I wouldn't be eligible to run Sophie (AFC Candlewoods She's So Fine) even though Lanse gave her to me..How long would I have to live at Pendroy to qualify(big sarcasm)...because the unstable work situation in Vegas is making me think Montana is a nice option(dead serious)..My room is already set up..

I wouldn't be opposed to it and I could see the reason for it..makes perfect sense

Guess that means we reinstate MaryKent as a owner/handler and us guys back to bird throwers. She has been training with us lately now that the boys are independent teens,and gives her and my brother a return to when they were a new couple..quite cute
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

So I guess that means I would not be able to enter because my dog is "co-owned" with me by my 10 year old nephew... Yea sounds like a good idea to me!!! I get what they are trying to do, but geez!
    Brandon Edmondson

I don't really think it would make any difference to overall participation if they did this. Even with "traditional amateur", re-defined as purely amateur trained and handled, you would still have plenty of retired or semi retired people that day train with a pro multiple times a week and show up at a trial with 3-6 dogs on the truck. The work and luck involved in winning consistently would still be a huge barrier to entry to the guy who it would seem they are trying to attract.
    Last edited by DarrinGreene; 04-16-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Darrin Greene

Yep those pesky multiple household co-owners are a real problem, what a silly waste of time.

I don't think that will help anything.
    Just as for O/H, where names went on the paper...for single family O/H, names will come off the paper.
    The name of the owner who doesn't handle.

The rule is meant to address, those who co-own, solely for the purpose of handling.
    Not going to do that. Those people will just find a way around that rule.
    Instead, it will hurt those who genuinely do co own.
    Charlotte Kaiser: " The Problem Lies In The Talent."

well this will keep folks from adding names of movie stars or superheros as handlers
    as has been done in the past
    now and then
    glad that issue is fixed
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

If a club elected to hold a Single Family O/H Amateur, a dog that was co-owned by two individuals who were not part of the same household would not be eligible to run

I would be curious to get RTFers thoughts on how many dogs this would affect at their respective FT? Are there really that many "co-owned" dogs entered at your trials?
    Last edited by Wade; 04-16-2014 at 07:00 AM.
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

I've always found it hard to believe anyone would cheat (or deliberately exploit a loophole) over a $5 ribbon anyhow, but then parents get in fights at little league games every day.
    Darrin Greene