The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you handle this in training? Trial?

Default How do you handle this in training? Trial?

Here is a water blind I ran on a new pond. My question is how would you handle this water blind?

I don't get it?
    you are the little tan guy on the far right?
    was your bird at the big B or big L?
    or the 2 black dots?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Run from L to B. Dots are the two spots I was wondering how others handle on these points.

The way I see it, both points are on line--a little piece of the first one and a big piece of the second.

That's right both points are to be hit. What cast gets you on and off each point?

In training: help them out of the water, challenge to get back in. Other factors to consider is what is the wind doing? For training purposes I would prefer to move the bird to the right, and the wind to be right to left. That way I could give a small straight up challenging cast to get back in the water and hope or teach the dog to get back in kick out, don't get sucked behind the point and fight the wind. The general rule is one whistle to get on and one to get off, I don't think that would be necessary with an advanced dog on the first point. A left hand (helping cast, walk it out) should get them out, and the dog would be REALLY bad to try to cheat at that point. Then the dog ought to swim and parallel the left shore until asked to get out on the second point.
    Jonathon Lord

Lord's Playin' it

Also this blind should be run, in training, with dog on the left, and off the right at trial
    Jonathon Lord

Lord's Playin' it

In training : I would teach the dog the reverse image in two segments...teach them the return first and then run it as a sight blind
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I would move to the right to the point near the tree. Having dog on left, I would want my dog to run as straight as possible enough to hit all points with a right angle back on second point to make dog get back in, you may have to push the dog off first point with right back. When the dog has kicked off second point, let the dog go about 30 yds or so then give a high left angle back pushing dog to blind. Good training scenario. When the dog has had some experience on this maybe "taught blind" starting moving back and left to where existing L is now. Should be able send dog pas first point then give one high left angle back to hit second point then on to blind.

Training would involve literal casts on the points. Would even let the dog roll across the points without stopping. Literal casts only as needed to keep dog in line. Casts as needed to put dog on the points.

Trial or test: Break any momentum towards the bank with a whistle as soon as dog crosses the line to blind. If possible allow dog to cross the line to the blind on the shoreline side immediately prior to the point. Give a momentum angle back with a step. This should have the dog thinking water as crossing the point. If there is any hesitation or the dog glances to the bank, whistle stop and give another momentum cast. This time a walking over. Repeat at the next point & wait for callbacks.
    Mark Land