The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Labrador Show in North America / Potomac

Default Biggest Labrador Show in North America / Potomac

Each year the Show breeders flock to Potomac to show who has bred the biggest Labrador, with more bone and substance and long wavy extra full coats.

They don't care that they have 120 lb lumbering studs who couldn't do five minutes of hunting. They have created an entirely new breed of dog.

Yes the Gap between a Field Labrador and a Show type keeps getting bigger... sadly ...

Winner at Potomac 2014
    http://delianlabs.com/Scrubs.html

BOS at Potomac 2014
    http://www.blackwinglabradors.com/bi...zy---izzy.html

Go to the linked web pages... tell me if you think Show Breeders understand the standard? So many got upset at the Westminster results because it was on TV. This is the reason. Behind the scenes those Westminster winners are peanuts compared to what gets rewarded at Potomac.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

I hope I don't get any of CH Lard Ass of Biscuits and Sausage Gravy in my dogs pedigree.

I decided to flick through the rest of one of the websites. Found this nice girl under "Girls of the past" http://www.blackwinglabradors.com/bi...e---dusty.html

Much closer to those illustrations in the breed standard.

Those people would hate my black Whippet.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

I see the WB as way more an eyesore than the WD. (though hes also not my cup of tea-). So extreme--- to each their own. The Squatlies always reminds me of Forestt Gump when he saw Luitenant Dan the first time in a wheelchair and he says, "Luitenant Dan- What happened to your Legs?!"
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Popularity can do that to any breed. I guess the bonus to the lab is that we HAVE two separate and completely different gene pools that define two very different phenotypes, thank God. Anyone who goes to an HT (junior) and watches show labs try to get working certs know what I mean. At least with other show-based breeds they move like lightening and have a lot of desire just no skills to actually find the bird even if they stepped on it (one actually did). The show/english/fat labs, whatever you want to call them, look horrid and just go about everything in a "I hope after I get this thing I get a hot dog," way.

A dog show basically looks like a circus to me. Why someone would participate to showcase a breed standard and leave the actual function in the garbage can is beyond me. It literally goes against the very nature of selection. These labs have no increased function as a result of this type of breeding.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by Billie View Post
    I see the WB as way more an eyesore than the WD. (though hes also not my cup of tea-). So extreme--- to each their own. The Squatlies always reminds me of Forestt Gump when he saw Luitenant Dan the first time in a wheelchair and he says, "Luitenant Dan- What happened to your Legs?!"
    Thanks! Have to clean off, not only the keyboard, but the computer screen and surrounding desk….
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrrichar View Post
    Popularity can do that to any breed. I guess the bonus to the lab is that we HAVE two separate and completely different gene pools that define two very different phenotypes, thank God. Anyone who goes to an HT (junior) and watches show labs try to get working certs know what I mean. At least with other show-based breeds they move like lightening and have a lot of desire just no skills to actually find the bird even if they stepped on it (one actually did). The show/english/fat labs, whatever you want to call them, look horrid and just go about everything in a "I hope after I get this thing I get a hot dog," way.

A dog show basically looks like a circus to me. Why someone would participate to showcase a breed standard and leave the actual function in the garbage can is beyond me. It literally goes against the very nature of selection. These labs have no increased function as a result of this type of breeding.
    I agree there are two different phenotypes.

I think you're mistaken if you assume the short, squatty, English style show Lab "showcases the breed standard". So are the judges who put these dogs up and the breeders who produce them. Unfortunately, I believe most of the field bred Labs also miss the boat when it comes to meeting the standard.

A Labrador retriever can meet the standard for both conformation and performance. Some do. They aren't necessarily from show bloodlines either. But they are in the minority, which is a shame.

Show breeders are going to continue to diverge from the standard as long as they win the prize. Field trial breeders are also going to do whatever it takes to push the envelope of performance, with no regard to the breed standard.

What I'd like to see is more breeders of hunting companion Labs working to produce dogs that are sound, healthy, and talented; and who exhibit the breed traits described in the standard, which does describe a working retriever.

JMHO.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Each year the Show breeders flock to Potomac to show who has bred the biggest Labrador, with more bone and substance and long wavy extra full coats.

They don't care that they have 120 lb lumbering studs who couldn't do five minutes of hunting. They have created an entirely new breed of dog.

Yes the Gap between a Field Labrador and a Show type keeps getting bigger... sadly ...

Winner at Potomac 2014

BOS at Potomac 2014

Go to the linked web pages... tell me if you think Show Breeders understand the standard? So many got upset at the Westminster results because it was on TV. This is the reason. Behind the scenes those Westminster winners are peanuts compared to what gets rewarded at Potomac.
    Nice dog. All fixed.
    Last edited by waycool; 04-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.
    Steve Lithgow
    Las Cruces, NM
    "The thing that makes them good... is the thing that makes them bad" ~Pete Richardson Marble Mtn Walkers, Vermont
    "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.... " ~Ron Schaitel
    "What's the difference between a pro and an amateur..... ""About a tenth of a second"" ~Bill Gibbons
    "Ugh... my dog broke....! ""There's never been one worth a flip that hasn't"" ~John Steger

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post

Winner at Potomac 2014

BOS at Potomac 2014

I like the look on the ones face who is standing on its hind legs "Izzy" I believe is the name of the dog. Poor thing. It looks like the last one picked for dodgeball in gym class.