The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Labrador Show in North America / Potomac

Ya know, I'd be ticked if people posted links to my dogs on a public forum and started making fun of them or insulting them. It's one thing to generalize about bench vs field or whatever and use a generic photo of unnamed dogs, but picking on someone's specific dog like this is rude.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Ya know, I'd be ticked if people posted links to my dogs on a public forum and started making fun of them or insulting them. It's one thing to generalize about bench vs field or whatever and use a generic photo of unnamed dogs, but picking on someone's specific dog like this is rude.
    As a breeder, would you want a Labrador with no front legs. The female is a BISS CH. Says alot about judges on the show side.

That is about as un- athletic look I've seen in a sporting breed. I poke no fun at the dogs. I do question why these people are breeding such poor examples of what a Labrador is suppose to look like. That is not a Labrador. In any century.Time or country.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Magnum, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    As a breeder, would you want a Labrador with no front legs. The female is a BISS CH. Says alot about judges on the show side.

That is about as un- athletic look I've seen in a sporting breed. I poke no fun at the dogs. I do question why these people are breeding such poor examples of what a Labrador is suppose to look like. That is not a Labrador. In any century.Time or country.
    Did you mean "side show", as in come all and witness the amazing obese Labrador?

Last edited by mngundog; 04-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.

Right I guess a sporting dog can function despite the lack of length of arm. In a dream world. My bad. Funny your dogs do have arms. Why is that?

You breed functional hunting dogs Vs Show specimens.
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 04-17-2014 at 12:17 AM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Did you mean "side show", as in come all and witness the amazing obese Labrador?

Sad but true.

Unfortunately, Pete, I agree.
    For someone who has gone out of their way to explain over and over again on the pet forums how their own dog was placed in his home because it was too "overdone" for this same show ring, and who goes out of their way to train for hunting and promote how this type of dog can do the work, I am confused by how you are now spouting such "anti-show conformation" sentiments for Labradors. I do like you, Pete. I don't understand, however, how spiteful you've gotten when discussing the same breeders which you had defended just last year? There are dogs that can do both games and do them well. Some breeders aren't interested in doing that (conformation and field) or just don't have the funds or time, so seek a different dog with a different goal in mind...whether doing conformation, field trials, independent hunting, agility, service dog work, search and rescue, police work, etc.

For what it's worth and so everyone doesn't go and slam the American judges yet again, the dog judge at the Potomac this year was from Italy and this show is not just the largest in North America but the largest specialty show (any breed, not just Labradors) in the WORLD. Breeders exhibit dogs from Europe, Asia, New Zealand, S. America, etc. etc. etc. each year. Just a bit of background.
    -Julie, Monty (2005 YLM), Rogue (2009 BLM), and Eddy (2013 BLM)

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Anon

LIFE IS GOOD. "Do what you like, like what you do."

Im not a fan of the show ring at all but I have grown quite fond of the little guy in this video. He actually moves very well. True he cant keep up with some of my field bred labs but he also out hustles one or two of them. Trying to talk his owner into more advanced training as he is capable of it.
    One pet peeve of mine is that some people insist on calling the short fat conformation dogs " English Labs". That is not fair to the fine English bred field bred Labradors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwzK6...=share&index=5

Sorry ad editing of spelling
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 04-17-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Montview View Post
    Unfortunately, Pete, I agree.
    For someone who has gone out of their way to explain over and over again on the pet forums how their own dog was placed in his home because it was too "overdone" for this same show ring, and who goes out of their way to train for hunting and promote how this type of dog can do the work, I am confused by how you are now spouting such "anti-show conformation" sentiments for Labradors. I do like you, Pete. I don't understand, however, how spiteful you've gotten when discussing the same breeders which you had defended just last year? There are dogs that can do both games and do them well. Some breeders aren't interested in doing that (conformation and field) or just don't have the funds or time, so seek a different dog with a different goal in mind...whether doing conformation, field trials, independent hunting, agility, service dog work, search and rescue, police work, etc.

For what it's worth and so everyone doesn't go and slam the American judges yet again, the dog judge at the Potomac this year was from Italy and this show is not just the largest in North America but the largest specialty show (any breed, not just Labradors) in the WORLD. Breeders exhibit dogs from Europe, Asia, New Zealand, S. America, etc. etc. etc. each year. Just a bit of background.
    You have the right to not agree with me or anything I say. It is America. As Mary Roslin Williams says, a Lab will try in spite of what breeders have done to him.

Does that make a Champion dog to be rewarded at shows for future breeders., Each individual breeder has an ethical position on even taking a Labrador to a show if it does not conform to standard. Why keep breeding terrible traits to be passed on to offspring.

It is terribly sad when judges have no eye for BALANCE no matter what country they come from. It's horrible for the entire breed. The dog is a GUN DOG, not a couch potato waiting for its next snack.

Inspite of the size of my dog, he is 24 inches tall , with 12 inch front legs. Exactly what the breed standard calls for, as well as from the shoulder to the tail he is 24 inches long.(short coupled) His issue is his watermelon head. If he had a proper head piece I would never as a pet owner have had a chance to own him. She will not show improper Labradors or breed them.

The reason why he can hunt . I keep him in optimum condition. he hunts in spite of his giant squash . He will never pass on any of that poor trait because he won't be bred. Its called respecting the breed you love. You do not breed poor specimens. Period.

Poke fun at my big happy Lab.. I love the breed more than any one dog.