The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Labrador Show in North America / Potomac

Quote Originally Posted by .44 magnum View Post
    Right I guess a sporting dog can function despite the lack of length of arm. In a dream world. My bad. Funny your dogs do have arms. Why is that?

You breed functional hunting dogs Vs Show specimens.
    You miss my point. I don't care about the ring, I don't care about anything besides field, I have just as much tunnel vision as anyone. What I find rude and mannerless is people using someone's specifically named dogs to bash. It would be classier to keep it anonymous, like your own name (though many of us know it now), to make your point, vs pulling someone's websites to do it. When you're in a gallery, (though you don't show up on EE or anywhere else field-related, so you may not understand), it is rude to make demeaning comments publicly about someone else's dog.

Bashing show, whatever, been done to death over and over and over on here. If you want to change it, or field for that matter, then breed, judge and/or run events, put your money where your mouth is. Gets old, people who apparently do nothing complaining so long and loudly about those that actually do stuff. In any venue.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    You miss my point. I don't care about the ring, I don't care about anything besides field, I have just as much tunnel vision as anyone. What I find rude and mannerless is people using someone's specifically named dogs to bash. It would be classier to keep it anonymous, like your own name (though many of us know it now), to make your point, vs pulling someone's websites to do it. When you're in a gallery, (though you don't show up on EE or anywhere else field-related, so you may not understand), it is rude to make demeaning comments publicly about someone else's dog.

Bashing show, whatever, been done to death over and over and over on here. If you want to change it, or field for that matter, then breed, judge and/or run events, put your money where your mouth is. Gets old, people who apparently do nothing complaining so long and loudly about those that actually do stuff. In any venue.
    Some people have to work for a living... and do you really think the Show breeders care what I have to say. I am just venting my displeasure that the breed is split so bad . It just sucks.

If a breeder has a web site it is open season to post their links for reference. They open themselves up for criticism by those who understand function.

As Mary Roslin Williams says... at the least a Labrador should do is LOOK LIKE A LABRADOR
    Last edited by .44 magnum; 04-17-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Interesting thread for me because Monday my mother inlaw dropped of a book she had bought for me at a garage sale, that I had never read " The Labrador Retriever the dog that does it all" one of the first chapters is "The history of the Labrador" below are a few pics that I scanned looks like back in the early days they really were some good looking dogs, then see the progression and finally the front cover.

Some people have to work for a living... and do you really think the Show breeders care what I have to say. I am just venting my displeasure that the breed is split so bad . It just sucks.

If a breeder has a web site it is open season to post their links for reference. They open themselves up for criticism by those who understand function.

As Mary Roslin Williams says... at the least a Labrador should do is LOOK LIKE A LABRADOR
    Lots of people have to work for a living. Kinda think many on RTF here have a job now and then. My husband and I both have worked since we were teenagers. If you want something badly enough, you find a way to do it.

No, I doubt the show cares any more than the field does what you or pretty much anyone else thinks about their dogs. Again, that isn't the point. It's having some manners about someone's dog. Period. Be a sportsman and lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Lots of people have to work for a living. Kinda think many on RTF here have a job now and then. My husband and I both have worked since we were teenagers. If you want something badly enough, you find a way to do it.

No, I doubt the show cares any more than the field does what you or pretty much anyone else thinks about their dogs. Again, that isn't the point. It's having some manners about someone's dog. Period. Be a sportsman and lead by example.
    Absolutely right. Nobody has any right to criticize the way the breed has split. Understand you are doing the exact same thing to me. Saying I've no right to think breeders have an obligation to breed a Labrador that looks like a Labrador.
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Absolutely right. Nobody has any right to criticize the way the breed has split. Understand you are doing the exact same thing to me. Saying I've no right to think breeders have an obligation to breed a Labrador that looks like a Labrador.
    Are you really that obtuse? I don't care if you bash show, or criticize the breed split. I said, get this straight, linking someone's site on a public forum then bashing them/their dogs, is rude. Try it with a field person, let's see what happens. Pick some RTF member with field accomplishments with a website, post it up and dissect their dogs here, tell everyone what you think is wrong with them, how they are ruining the breed. Let's see, there's a sponsor right on here with some FC's and a website, start there, see what happens. Shoot, start with mine if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Interesting thread for me because Monday my mother inlaw dropped of a book she had bought for me at a garage sale, that I had never read " The Labrador Retriever the dog that does it all" one of the first chapters is "The history of the Labrador" below are a few pics that I scanned looks like back in the early days they really were some good looking dogs, then see the progression and finally the front cover.

Great pictures. And I like the Labrador of past greatly. I do not except the way some are breeding Labs with alligator front legs.

I'd like to see some of these show-dogs shaved down; they got way too much coat how can I tell if they are truly fat or Husky-over Fluffy; I'm not sure how you can see angles or anything else for that matter with that Newfoundland coat distorting everything. Sure the standard was adjusted to allow for a slightwave but these dogs have oceans of hair; Long hair has a tendency to hold water not shed it, I'd bet I'd be cutting off ice-clumps; as most other long-haired breeds if they were hunted in extreme weather.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-17-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I agree with Rainmaker, bashing individual dogs is not in the best interest of anybody.
    I am really bored with this field versus show subject. I have seen some very nice show labs that I think would make wonderful pets.

Gotta run out to the farm to start training my field labs, three days off

JT