The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Program for Solo Trainer? (another which program thread)

Default Program for Solo Trainer? (another which program thread)

I've finished Hillman puppy and done plenty of research into which program I'll use next. I had great success with Hillman so far, but I don't want to feel like I need to pick up and move to another to finish more advanced work. I'm looking for a hunting dog with solid blind work and a maybe a SH title, so this may be a moot point anyways.

My question really is are any programs geared more or less towards the solo trainer? I can join Lonestar HRC here in Dallas every other weekend or so, but the vast majority of my training will be on my own in public spaces. This also means I'm limited in scope of set up. Any suggestions?

None are geared toward the solo trainer, but all can and have been adapted. Still, it is always helpful to train with a group, so I would consider joining a local RC. You may get to know some folks with whom to train from time to time.

Why not stay with Hillmann?

I'm a Hillmann trainer and train at least 90% of my time alone. Hillmann himself likes to train alone and his methodology reflects this one-on-one preference for teaching and practicing the fundamental skills of a finished retriever.

Jim

PS, I live in suburban Chicago and my "90% solo" training is done on baseball/soccer fields in a public park.

Look up Dennis Voigt's - Training Alone....he helps break the myth that one cant achieve success without the use of a training group...dont be duped into thinking that you have to have enough manpower to make each training session looking like the 4th series of the Open...You aren't training a dog by committee,use a little imagination and ingenuity,on whatever resources you do have at your disposal
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    None are geared toward the solo trainer, but all can and have been adapted. Still, it is always helpful to train with a group, so I would consider joining a local RC. You may get to know some folks with whom to train from time to time.
    I'll be joining Lonestar HRC from time to time, but it won't be often. I would guess twice a month. But you're right in that there may be some groups that train near me during the week. I just need to meet the right people?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Pines View Post
    Why not stay with Hillmann?
    Jim- my only hesitation with Hillmann is getting to the end of fundamentals and then feeling like there is still advanced work to be done that he doesn't cover. Do you think this is inaccurate?

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Look up Dennis Voigt's - Training Alone....he helps break the myth that one cant achieve success without the use of a training group...dont be duped into thinking that you have to have enough manpower to make each training session looking like the 4th series of the Open...You aren't training a dog by committee,use a little imagination and ingenuity,on whatever resources you do have at your disposal
    Agree with the above. Dennis V. program is a great start. Go to his online web page. He has info on there that will help you. And his DVD is excellent. Like Bon states you can get very creative training by yourself. Good luck to you.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by zachlw1 View Post
    Jim- my only hesitation with Hillmann is getting to the end of fundamentals and then feeling like there is still advanced work to be done that he doesn't cover. Do you think this is inaccurate?
    Yes I do! No doubt in my mind!

I do AKC hunt tests, so I have specific performance objectives for Master Hunter work. I don't want to barely get by, either. I want my dogs to do consistent, solid work on tough set-ups with demanding judges. The amount and level of information I have learned from Hillmann's DVDs (through his Fundamentals material) is NOT my limiting factor in meeting my objectives. Not by any stretch. And I am far from where I think the full potential can be in terms of understanding and implementing the Hillmann philosophy on the deepest level.

My dogs are doing quite well in Master tests. In order to get even better, I need to train more water and more terrain than can be found on a soccer field.

Of course there is more advanced material beyond Hillmann's fundamentals. For me, I eagerly await the next edition that may come from Bill Hillmann. But that doesn't stop me from advancing. His philosophy is the crux of what he teaches. If I deeply understand his philosophy, I can advance all by myself.

Jim