The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Injured While Training

Default Injured While Training

While out training yesterday in very wet training conditions I lost my footing and feel to the ground. I landed on my right elbow which did not hit on the ground, but on a root. I could not feel my arm and I thought I am have broken it. No brake in the arm but it very sore today. All of this got me thinking what is the worst injury you have incurred while training the dogs?

Almost lost the last joint of my right index finger dismantling a Zinger Winger! Yowser!!!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

I havent had anything serious, but I forgot to take my foot out of a long rope I had on my pup when I sent him on a mark....after him running full blast and about 90 feet of rope dragging across my ankle, you could almost smell the burning flesh.

I step out of the ropes now

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...uries+training

smashed fingernail which required removal; bruised wrist/arm during force fetch (my fault), too many falls while in the field and dogs crashing into my knees to mention which probably contributed to wear and tear and required double arthroscopy to clean up
    Last edited by frontier; 04-16-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

broken finger while using a rope for 3hc
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Not a training incident but it happened after picking up my new pup at SFO. The crate door was zip tied so it couldn't open in flight. When I got back to my truck, the pup wanted out. I didn't have wire cutters, but I did have a brand new hunting knife.
    Stuck the knife in the zip tie and pulled TOWARD my lower chest. It went in a little over 1". Fortunately, I have a nice layer of fat there.

It took a while to get the bleeding stopped and I looked like I had been in a knife fight and lost. I handed the pup to my 9 yr old daughter and began the 4 hr drive home. Upon my arrival, I was met by my wife who immediately took me to the ER. My BP was 226/180. The Dr. was freaked out about that. They did a MRI to make sure I didn't nick anything inside.

They told me because it was a chest wound, the police must be called. At this point my wife was getting on my nerves about being fat and high BP. I reminded her that the knife was in her purse and she showed the Dr. the blood line so he could see how deep it went in. Her finger prints were on the knife and it would take the rest of the night to prove she didnt stab me...

Now I'm on BP meds and I tell my wife that the pup saved my life. It's no wonder that he is my best friend.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Cut my hand badly on a dog box door.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

My old training partner ran himself over with his own truck......
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    Not a training incident but it happened after picking up my new pup at SFO. The crate door was zip tied so it couldn't open in flight. When I got back to my truck, the pup wanted out. I didn't have wire cutters, but I did have a brand new hunting knife.
    Stuck the knife in the zip tie and pulled TOWARD my lower chest. It went in a little over 1". Fortunately, I have a nice layer of fat there.

It took a while to get the bleeding stopped and I looked like I had been in a knife fight and lost. I handed the pup to my 9 yr old daughter and began the 4 hr drive home. Upon my arrival, I was met by my wife who immediately took me to the ER. My BP was 226/180. The Dr. was freaked out about that. They did a MRI to make sure I didn't nick anything inside.

They told me because it was a chest wound, the police must be called. At this point my wife was getting on my nerves about being fat and high BP. I reminded her that the knife was in her purse and she showed the Dr. the blood line so he could see how deep it went in. Her finger prints were on the knife and it would take the rest of the night to prove she didnt stab me...

Now I'm on BP meds and I tell my wife that the pup saved my life. It's no wonder that he is my best friend.
    You win. At least so far.
    Don't bother to just be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.
    William Faulkner

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post

Great story. Glad you didn't get hurt bad.
    Don