The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIALLY entered my first AKC JH test!!

Default OFFICIALLY entered my first AKC JH test!!

Well folks,
    I officially entered my first AKC JH test! I have done 100% training by myslef (which is a lot harder than i thought lol) and have had my CLM hunt 2 seasons underneath me and figured its about time i give it a shot! Any tips or tricks i should know about before i go in 2 weeks, or anything i should be concentrating on specifically?
    Thanks all!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

when you pull in to park in the a.m. Do not park in the shade. park at the spot that will be shady at 1:00 p.m.
    check in, watch the test dog, tell the marshal it is your first test. bring water and snacks and something for yourself as well.
    be set in your mind you will be on site all day. bring rain gear and boots and shorts and flipflops and a down parka, all camo of course. after you say you are set and ask for the birds do not talk to Fang, no matter how many hunting season, junior lets you use a rope, use it.
    Thank Your Judges.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

x2 on rope ! And grab that bird as soon as its in reach. don't be tryin to show everyone how good he will return to heel .lol
    Gator Point's Magnum Missy SH
    Brownings Troublesome Cassie

Relax!! And have fun. At the end it's just a dog picking up single marks.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Got my 1st one this weekend....I have read every thread here on 1st Jr test and still nervous as heck, feels like Im 16 and getting ready to be pulled over by the cops Ill let you know how it goes

i bought a new slip cord leash...is that acceptable to use when going up to the line? I am also nervous as all get out, but have been doing ALOT of youtube watching and forums reading! I really think im over thinking this, but i just want to make sure i dont make a fool of myself lol, like maybe wear bright green shirts with yellow banana pants lol. one concern i have is, i have never used a whistle with him (never needed to due to our hunting situations) is this something i should get him used to or just do what we have always done?
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Kevin, You've got some good judges for your first trial. I know it's hard to do, but relax and enjoy yourself. Your dog is going to pick up on your nerves and may get a little jacked up, even if he's never run a test before.

You can bring your dog to the holding blind on a slip cord leash, but they will want you to take it off the dog's neck before you walk to the line. The rules for Juniors state: "(2) Dogs shall be steady but may be brought to the line on leash with a flat buckle collar. The dog is under judgment when it leaves the holding blind. A Junior dog that is not under control when brought to the line (jumping, strongly tugging, etc.) even though it is on a leash shall risk receiving a lower score in trainability including zero in extreme cases. Dogs may be restrained gently with a slipcord looped through the flat buckle collar, or held gently by the flat buckle collar until sent to retrieve."
    Personally, I prefer to hold on to the collar when I have a junior dog at the line - it gives me more control. I bring the dog to the line on their regular leather leash and unclip it once I'm at the line. If you do that, make sure you have a good hold on the flat collar before you take the leash off. And stuff the leash in you pocket -- most judges don't care to have the leash thrown at their feet.

Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" MH QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

[QUOTE=KevinsKennels;1210482]i bought a new slip cord leash...is that acceptable to use when going up to the line?

Only a flat buckle collar may be used no choke cords or e-collars. You really don't need a whistle for juniors but I would recommend training him with one. If he starts bringing the bird back off course you could give a few tweets.
    May I ask where you are running? I'll be helping at the northwest iowa clubs in 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinsKennels View Post
    i bought a new slip cord leash...is that acceptable to use when going up to the line? I am also nervous as all get out, but have been doing ALOT of youtube watching and forums reading! I really think im over thinking this, but i just want to make sure i dont make a fool of myself lol, like maybe wear bright green shirts with yellow banana pants lol. one concern i have is, i have never used a whistle with him (never needed to due to our hunting situations) is this something i should get him used to or just do what we have always done?
    Slip cord is fine behind the blind but you can't bring the dog up to the line with one. You need just a regular leash attached to the ring of a flat buckle collar with no tags. Once you are set at the line unclip the leash and put it in your pocket (it can't be visible). Some use a string through the ring of the collar others hold onto the collar, signal to judges you are ready, then shut up, wait for mark to fall and for them to signal to release your dog, release him and have fun.

Take your time! Calm yourself down before you go get your dog. Know your number and place in the test and keep track so you don't rush.

Don't use a whistle if your dog isn't use to it. Not a required piece of equipment.

Biggest suggestion: Please keep in mind that this is suppose to be fun. Often times it is a game of chance even for the well-trained/prepared. If you fail, take away from it a lesson learned, be grateful that you have a great dog, beautiful outdoors, and meet lots of nice people. Put faith and trust in your dog and let him/her know that they are about to have a great time, regardless.

Also make sure you dog has been indrocuced to any type of bird the test may use. I learned this the hard way.