The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIALLY entered my first AKC JH test!!

like i told my buddy a few weeks ago before his first test. this is a test you can fail it doesnt make u repeat a class or not let your drive, just a day in the field with your best 4 legged friend!

Have fun, go to the bathroom before the test, air your dog before the test. Use the flat buckle collar. Relax and enjoy yourself. Once your done for the day, make your way over to the senior test or the master test. Talk to people who aren't about to run their dog and soak up as much knowledge as possible. Often times you will meet others who live nearby and can train with you.

Feel free to speak with the judges AFTER the test if you have questions or want to know how they scored your dog. Most are happy to talk with you.

Okay, i will make sure his has the correct leash and collar on the day of...(i do not run a collar on him due that when hes not in his big outside kennel at the farm, hes with me)....im more than jacked up about trying this, and no matter what the outcome, it will be an amazing day with my pooch!
    Note: To whoever else is going to be there (waseca, may 3rd and 4th) i apologize ahead of time for asking a TON of questions!
    Captain Drake of Dutchess JH. "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

Find a stinky dead duck and make sure he will pick it up. Hold the collar. This is not the time to bet $70 on his steadiness. Don't release him until the judge calls your number or says "dog," then wait 3-5 seconds. This gives the dog a mental picture of the mark. A post or 2 above me said "trust your dog." It took me 3 tests to figure this out. he can do the work. Trust your dog.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Even if you know/think your dog is steady until released, use the rule available to you in Jr. and hold your dog by that flat collar until you release him.

Don't release the dog until they call your number, it's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget that!

After you run, thank the judges and tell them you appreciate their time, no matter how it goes for you. Be a good sport.

Breath, relax, have fun with your buddy and good luck!
    Last edited by Cowtown; 04-17-2014 at 01:42 PM.

I know it might be too late but has your dog been around a live flyer? I didn't think it would make a difference but it does

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    I know it might be too late but has your dog been around a live flyer? I didn't think it would make a difference but it does
    I believe so...maybe not in a test setup but he's had 2 seasons of hunting the OP said.

Be carefull how you hold the collar. DO NOT hold by the ring . I watched someone break a finger that way. Best way to hold is slip hand under collar from back side away from the head. IF you slip hand in front on top of head the dog it pushes his head down. Good luck and have fun. And as someone already said, thank the judges no mater what. Without them there is no test to run.

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Relax and breathe...A dog feeds off your nervousness. You have been given some good advice. I could have saved myself a bunch of money if I had taken my own advice. I had as a first dog a very high rolling dog that as a rank amateur was WAY too much dog for me. I would be so wound up I could not eat the day of a test. I had open heart surgery and decided that running a dog in a HT was NOT a life or death situation. I relaxed and my dogs VASTLY improved...........humm must have been me...Have fun. Junior is the most fun to Judge and run as you never know what will happen...Enjoy your dog and I guarantee your dog will have fun.......
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Make sure he has seen field geese decoys. Seen plenty of JH dogs loose their mind when they see them