The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Pro Trainers

Default A Question for Pro Trainers

I am looking at buying my first house and I want to be sure I live on a few acres (ideally 5 or more) so I can train my dogs and possibly open my own business in the future. How many acres are your kennels and house on? How many acres is too little to run a kennel on?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

If you are planning on going Pro, you are either going to need a lot more land and/or have lots of friends that have land...

We just bought 55 acres with zero plans of ever hanging a shingle and it's not enough to train our 3 dogs - you can't keep training on the same piece of property, so you got to know others and maybe exchange locations, hard to offer that with 5 acres. Then add in the need for water.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I currently already have thousands of acres to train on in the area through family and friends. This would strictly be for my home, the kennels, and a place for training obedience dogs. I would probably have a technical pond or at least a pond on the homestead, the kennels, and my house.

I'm not a pro trainer,,,, but I own a kennel on 5 acres. My kennel is for deluxe boarding (large 5'x9' kennels and lots of outdoor group play) and doggie daycare with some obedience training.

We only have 18 kennels, but often have multiple dogs in each one - (dogs from the same owner), so have about 30 or so dogs per day. Plus my own 3 dogs. 5 acres is plenty of space. One acre is fenced for the "general population", the remainder 4 acres of land is used for group off leash walks with regulars who I trust will listen to me. Also use the 4 acres for yard work, pattern blinds and whatever else I can think of for my retrievers.

Hope this is of help.

Jennifer

Jennifer, this helped a ton. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by oneshotlu View Post
    I currently already have thousands of acres to train on in the area through family and friends. This would strictly be for my home, the kennels, and a place for training obedience dogs. I would probably have a technical pond or at least a pond on the homestead, the kennels, and my house.
    I'm not a pro but I want to be your new best friend as will most SE Texans on this forum.

Perhaps it's important to add that I don't live on the kennel property. If I were to do that, I would require a minimum of about 8 to 10 acres. That way you can have some personal space, fence your house and yard to separate it from the business end. Customers will track you down 24/7 otherwise. And/or you will go nuts sharing your personal house yard with the business yard. Everyone needs a break and some separation from work.

Also, I don't have a swim-by pond on the 4 acres. That would take up a lot of space and perhaps limit what you could do yard-work wise.

Best of luck!

Depends on your goals. If you plan to seriously pursue field trials (which is the only logical way to do it), You need to buy yourself a county! Dogs need to not only learn skills, but to apply them on the widest variety of landscape you can show them. Have some land, but make friends with many others who also have land. Respect and care for their land like was your own.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

I appreciate the replies, all great advice! I am fortunate enough to have the acreage to train on. One bad thing about our training grounds is most all the land we have are old rice fields, which tends to be very flat and can make 1000 acres seem like 100. Also, it's tough finding water around here that isn't filled with gators, hence my desire to have some sort of technical pond. Jennifer, I definitely agree with you, separating business from work is important!

Im going to be in your boat in about 2 years.... Currently have a small kennel with client dogs on 3 acres. Next place will have no less than 10!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/