The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Pro Trainers

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Im going to be in your boat in about 2 years.... Currently have a small kennel with client dogs on 3 acres. Next place will have no less than 10!!
    Good to know. I recently checked out a few houses on 2 or 3 acres and thought maybe I could make it work, but I think more than 5 acres is definitely the way to go!

Especially if you want a pond!! It takes a lot more land to build a pond than you think

Try to find one with a pond on it... you can make little arms or jetties on them pretty simple with some dirt
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Do a google search for Marks-A-Lot kennels in Caddo Mills, TX. My recollection is that he has aerial photos posted of his place on his website. He has all you mentioned on about 5 acres .
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

[QUOTEDepends on your goals. If you plan to seriously pursue field trials (which is the only logical way to do it), You need to buy yourself a county! Dogs need to not only learn skills, but to apply them on the widest variety of landscape you can show them. Have some land, but make friends with many others who also have land. Respect and care for their land like was your own.
    ][/QUOTE]

I'm curious why you think that's the most logical way to do it ?

Oneshotlu

The first thing you need to do is check the laws where you plan on setting up shop. Some places will make it very difficult for you to do legally,,,and others will have few requirements.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete; 04-18-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Littlejohn View Post
    I'm not a pro but I want to be your new best friend as will most SE Texans on this forum.
    Amen to that Mark!!!
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I've got 30 acres, with good separation between the house and kennels for privacy. My small, fenced field is six acres, and it works well for basics, and my back field, where the pond will eventually be, is about twelve acres. A mile to the east is the start of the Buena Vista Grasslands, a 15,000 acre prairie chicken preserve, that I can train on for nine months out of the year (one of the main reasons I bought this place was the access to wild birds and the extra land). I haul out to water, and have access to some good training ponds.

Like Pete said, make sure to find out the laws for your area and jump through whatever hoops you need to before closing on the property. I have some good friends who bought 120 acres, with the plan being to build their new home and small (like maybe six to eight dogs) kennel. It's in the middle of land zoned for agriculture. They didn't check anything out before they bought, thinking it wouldn't be a problem...and then, when they pulled the permits to start building, they were blocked because neighbors....living in McMansions half a mile away....complained about a kennel being built. They were told they would get a two year temporary permit and then decide after that whether it would be renewed. Ummm....no....not going to build the dream house and kennels and then risk not being able to use it. So....they sold that property. To a hog farmer. Who plans to run a 5000 hog operation. On land zoned for it, no special permit required, and there is absolutely no recourse for the McMansion neighbors now.....bet they'd have rather had the kennels!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

You can do alot with the "right" 5 acres wayne... that place looks good

Around here we arent going to find 5 acres that is flat and treeless If it was the prefect 5 with a house the wife loves I'd probably pull the trigger..
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    I've got 30 acres, with good separation between the house and kennels for privacy. My small, fenced field is six acres, and it works well for basics, and my back field, where the pond will eventually be, is about twelve acres. A mile to the east is the start of the Buena Vista Grasslands, a 15,000 acre prairie chicken preserve, that I can train on for nine months out of the year (one of the main reasons I bought this place was the access to wild birds and the extra land). I haul out to water, and have access to some good training ponds.

Like Pete said, make sure to find out the laws for your area and jump through whatever hoops you need to before closing on the property. I have some good friends who bought 120 acres, with the plan being to build their new home and small (like maybe six to eight dogs) kennel. It's in the middle of land zoned for agriculture. They didn't check anything out before they bought, thinking it wouldn't be a problem...and then, when they pulled the permits to start building, they were blocked because neighbors....living in McMansions half a mile away....complained about a kennel being built. They were told they would get a two year temporary permit and then decide after that whether it would be renewed. Ummm....no....not going to build the dream house and kennels and then risk not being able to use it. So....they sold that property. To a hog farmer. Who plans to run a 5000 hog operation. On land zoned for it, no special permit required, and there is absolutely no recourse for the McMansion neighbors now.....bet they'd have rather had the kennels!
    I guarantee the neighbors would rather have the kennels! Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check the local laws and regulations before buying. I may not buy anything for a few years, because I don't want to buy just any house on 5-10 acres. I just know that when I finally decide to buy my first house I want it to be on acreage... I grew up on a ranch and my dogs were used to that lifestyle... They could run and play in the lake and do whatever they pleased. Now that I'm out of college they are stuck in a back yard or in the house while I am at work all day. It's amazing what we will do for our dogs! If I decide to go down the path of retriever training in the future I want to be sure I buy something that is big enough to build kennels and maybe a pond or two on.

Here is my 26 acres where I train gunning/hunt test dogs. Bonaventure.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dufour View Post
    Here is my 26 acres where I train gunning/hunt test dogs. Bonaventure.jpg
    Boy that is a lovely place. Bet you get alot done with this site!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray